Video games that should've been made into anime

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Video games that should've been made into anime

Post by greg »

Oh man... that brings back memories of playing multiplayer Duke Nukem 3D in college. We'd play it on a base 10BASE2 coax network using DOS. Things would be going great until someone accidentally hit that cursed Windows key, bringing them back to Windows 95 and failing the game session. Playing through the levels co-op sure was fun, though.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I was playing Duke Nukem 3d back when I just arrived in grad school. I could not stop playing it. I gave a fellow grad student a copy and he was the same way. Now the latest Duke Nukem Forever was not as raunchy as I would have liked, but it was nice to have Duke Nukem back. I hope they make a BETTER sequel soon. I may have to make my own Duke Nukem or Alice the Madness Returns anime fanfic site. Somebody's gotta do it!
***^__^***
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

While enjoying my holiday break, I've had time to fit in a bit of gaming. I've also come up with a few games that could have received interesting anime adaptations.

WARNING: This list may be a bit Sega CD-heavy. :lol:

-Keio Flying Squadron (Sega CD)
-Time Gal (Sega CD)
-Revenge of the Ninja/Ninja Hayate (Sega CD)
-Snatcher (Sega CD)
-Rival Schools (Sony Playstation)
-Burning Rangers (Sega Saturn)
greg

Post by greg »

Yes, I agree with those! I really enjoy playing Time Gal. I would LOVE to find an existing Time Gal cabinet in an arcade somewhere in Japan. I own it for both the Mega CD and the Saturn.

I only have a burned copy of Snatcher for the Sega CD. Actually, it was released only for the Sega CD and not for the Japanese Mega CD. I own it on the PC Engine and the Saturn.

Burning Rangers and Keio would also be great shows too, in my opinion.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Totally agree with Rival Schools. I would have preferred Ganbare Goemon got an actual story based anime, than that crappy one where he just jumps out of the tv, and is more for kids. :/
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:While enjoying my holiday break, I've had time to fit in a bit of gaming. I've also come up with a few games that could have received interesting anime adaptations.

WARNING: This list may be a bit Sega CD-heavy. :lol:

-Keio Flying Squadron (Sega CD)
-Time Gal (Sega CD)
-Revenge of the Ninja/Ninja Hayate (Sega CD)
-Snatcher (Sega CD)
-Rival Schools (Sony Playstation)
-Burning Rangers (Sega Saturn)
OH MAN, I'd totally watch all of those if they had anime shows based off of them. Especially Time Gal, Snatcher, Rival Schools, and Burning Rangers. They all felt like they almost WERE based on an anime already in their respective video games, it's a shame that wasn't the case. :(
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Ben
Anime Fan Since: Early 90's

Post by Ben »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Xenogears, I loved the anime cutscenes in that game (done by Production I.G.) and the soundtrack was phenomenal. It had one of the worst dubs (Oh God, the syncing!) but there is actually a patch out now that will let you play the U.S. game with the Japanese (subbed) cutscenes. I always thought it got a bad rap, people accused it of "ripping off" Evangelion even though it actually just borrowed from the same things (2001: A Space Odyssey, Space Runaway Ideon, Gnostic Christianity, giant mecha series, etc.) and was way less blatant about it than Eva IMHO. It's too bad Square canceled the series and the story was never fully fleshed out, but an anime may have been a great way to solve that. Dropping the anime inspired character designs and cutscenes was one of the worst things about the Xenosaga series for me, also.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Ben wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Xenogears, I loved the anime cutscenes in that game (done by Production I.G.) and the soundtrack was phenomenal. It had one of the worst dubs (Oh God, the syncing!) but there is actually a patch out now that will let you play the U.S. game with the Japanese (subbed) cutscenes. I always thought it got a bad rap, people accused it of "ripping off" Evangelion even though it actually just borrowed from the same things (2001: A Space Odyssey, Space Runaway Ideon, Gnostic Christianity, giant mecha series, etc.) and was way less blatant about it than Eva IMHO. It's too bad Square canceled the series and the story was never fully fleshed out, but an anime may have been a great way to solve that. Dropping the anime inspired character designs and cutscenes was one of the worst things about the Xenosaga series for me, also.
oh, YEAH, that would've been amazing! I was always a little disappointed that Xenosaga got so much attention but Xenogears didn't. I liked it a whole lot more than 'Saga, myself.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

Weird. I just looked up on Wikipedia and there is a correlation between Xenosaga and Xenogears. I just thought that they coincidentally shared the word "xeno" in their name, just like Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Panic. I've never played either game, so I wouldn't know.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Final Fight
Double Dragon
Shining Force
Ico
Wander and the Colossus
Last Blade
Garou Mark of the Wolves
Sonic Wings
Space Channel 5 (have Apollo Smile voice Ulala again)
Metal Gear Solid
Ryu Ga Gotoku
Alien vs Predator (the arcade game by Capcom)
Rockman X
Strider Hiryu
Tokimeki Memorial
Shenmue
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VIII