The Show Off Your Old Days Stuff Thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Re: The Show Off Your Old Days Stuff Thread

Post by yusaku »

Here is a comic I had autographed back at an anime con in Denver, CO in 2000.
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (3.8 MiB) Viewed 2356 times
***^__^***
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I feel like I need to break down and get some more stuff photographed or get to hunting stuff down.
Ender424 wrote:Image
At risk of sounding like an absolute tool, I really love those old advertisements with all of the release dates and different formats in them. NewType and Animage are treasure troves waiting to be cultivated.

[quote="nordstar"Image
Streamline Pictures[/quote]
nordstar wrote:Clutch Cargo was done by Streamline as an Archive Series of very early made for US TV cartoons. They released 3 different shows that I know of. Each show had 2 tapes.
Oh, holy crap. That makes so much more sense, now!

Trolling through the Dollar DVD bin with an old friend one day, I found "Captain Harlock and His Friends" vol. 3 or something like that. We snatched it up for some good laughs later on, hoping it was the ZIV dub/Disco Harlock. Him and I drop by my house where we unload our swag and end up meeting some friends for dinner and drinks. We get back from the bar, start drinking again and decide we need to check out this DVD. It's the dub we wanted and we yuck it up with a few more beers. When Harlock is over though, Clutch Cargo starts and we're too blitzed to be anything but weirded out by it. We decided that was the time we stop drinking and crash out for the night.

I'd seen Clutch Cargo once before, ages ago, as a part of some Cartoon Network or TBS special or something like that. Thought it was terrible and bordering on creepy then; pretty much don't care if I ever see it again now. I had figured that it was on those cheap-o DVDs because it was content that could be bought for cheap, not necessarily thinking it was bought from the same lot!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Again, you guys have to see the Incredibles spoof on Clutch Cargo on the bonus disc of The Incredibles. They did such a stellar job aging it and making it seem like it was a very old, crappy '60s Cambria Productions cartoon, especially with the choppy frame rate and creepy mouths.

Cambria Productions also "animated" Space Angel and Captain Fathom in the same fashion as Clutch Cargo. Those two shows haven't really persevered over the decades, though. It seems that Clutch Cargo is the one that people remember the most.

Man, it just makes me glad to have been a kid in the '80s. The late '70s is when things got really good, IMHO.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

greg wrote:Again, you guys have to see the Incredibles spoof on Clutch Cargo on the bonus disc of The Incredibles.
I've seen other parodies of Cambria's works that just ... still weird me out. I will forever have an association with that one night's reaction. I just don't know if I can take it.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
greg

Post by greg »

Hey, you guys wanna see one of the coolest things ever in the history of coolest things....ever? N stuff?

I snagged this on YAJ this week! It's not in pristine condition, but it's Lensman! And it's a poster of the Brittania!
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Whoa, that's so cool, Greg! Even in that condition, it's not bad for it's age!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

Yeah! I'm jealous of myself. :lol: Especially since I have no place to hang it. I got away with hanging that Bubblegum Crisis Priss+Motoslave poster in the bathroom, but I may be pushing my luck to try to take over more wallspace of our apartment.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:Yeah! I'm jealous of myself. :lol: Especially since I have no place to hang it. I got away with hanging that Bubblegum Crisis Priss+Motoslave poster in the bathroom, but I may be pushing my luck to try to take over more wallspace of our apartment.
You might have to start putting stuff on the ceiling! :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*