The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Re: The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Post by Heero »

It should finish around... 48 or so volumes. (I have most of the English and Japanese volumes, but a few strays that I still need to buy) It's basically a sit-com. The initial premise is as noted, and then it has random multi-chapter stories that generally play out and resolve cleanly. If not for the fact that new characters get slowly introduced over the course of the series, I'd say you could read the first few volumes (just to get the base 4 characters (Keiichi, Belldandy, Urd & Skuld)) and then grab any random book in the series and follow without issue. Honestly, you COULD still do that since most stories follow the same basic format anyway. (the one truly "complicating" factor IMO possibly being Velsper)

If you're interested in getting a feel for the manga, I recommend vol. 35. The first chapter finishes a story and the last chapter begins a new story, but the middle chapters tell a great story about a really old camera and its former owners. I think it's a great story from the manga with a really sweet ending.
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

well, i hope they adapt the rest of the series as an anime then. i totally loved the japanese voice cast and belldandy is one of inoue kikuko's best roles (i say her number one role is that of the boss in mgs3)
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

ParaParaJMo wrote:well, i hope they adapt the rest of the series as an anime then. i totally loved the japanese voice cast and belldandy is one of inoue kikuko's best roles (i say her number one role is that of the boss in mgs3)
They did do a long-running TV series not terribly long ago, but I never got around to see it so I'm not sure how it ends? Then again, I'm not sure how the manga ended yet, either, so I wouldn't be able to compare the two yet. XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

usamimi wrote:They did do a long-running TV series not terribly long ago, but I never got around to see it so I'm not sure how it ends? Then again, I'm not sure how the manga ended yet, either, so I wouldn't be able to compare the two yet. XD
To his credit, it appears that Fujishima is totally going to pay off all the longtime readers. (haven't read the actual last chapter yet, so not 100% certain) I'll also note that many detractors have complained in the past with how "chaste" the series is, and (good or ill) Fujishima actually addressed THAT in the chapters leading up to the finale.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

New episode! Me and returning guest Zee (you might remember her from the Year in Review) talk about good ol' Saturday Anime on Sci-Fi Channel: http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/8 ... cast-ep-14

Also tomorrow I'll be posting my very first CONTEST/GIVEAWAY to celebrate the upcoming 1-year anniversary of the podcast so stay tuned! ;D
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Contest details are up! Whoooo! :D http://t.co/bVU7skcPcJ
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:New episode! Me and returning guest Zee (you might remember her from the Year in Review) talk about good ol' Saturday Anime on Sci-Fi Channel: http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/8 ... cast-ep-14

Also tomorrow I'll be posting my very first CONTEST/GIVEAWAY to celebrate the upcoming 1-year anniversary of the podcast so stay tuned! ;D
Absolutely loved this episode usamimi!!! Hearing the two of you discuss Saturday Anime on the Sci-Fi Channel brought back many fond memories.

Even though I didn't have cable growing up, a lot of my friends and relatives did. Every now and then, I'd get a chance to watch something via Sci-Fi Channel's Saturday Anime programming block. As you mentioned, during a time when anime was still pretty tough to find in many places (not to mention being a fairly expensive hobby), this was a great way to be introduced to new anime.

This was one of my favorite episodes so far. I'd definitely be interested to hear topics about old anime programming blocks in the future.

Oh, and I'll make sure to send in my contest question before the deadline. ;)
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Aww, thanks Kame! We had a lot of fun recording it, so I'm glad you enjoyed it! I definitely would love to make this sort of an ongoing thing where I talk about specific Sci-Fi Anime titles and what we loved about them. It really was a neat thing for anime fans at the time. :D
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ok IT'S FINALLY UP: http://t.co/exLYmimJJ6
Sorry it took forever, I was so tired when we started recording that I wasn't paying attention to time and we ended up recording like 4 hours of audio. :shock: So I had to trim it down A LOT, obviously. :lol: But I hope y'all enjoy it, we had a lot of fun recording it.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

New short review ep of the podcast is up: http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/9 ... cast-ep-16

My first VHS-only-release anime review: Viz's old Sanctuary OVA release!