The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

llj wrote:Viz Media. Original Sailor Moon TV, films and specials. Digital release episodes begin this summer, half-season DVD/BD sets later this year.
This is great news! :D
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

So The Anime Network picked up the streaming options for Battle of the Planets, and it's on Hulu now, too! Makes me wonder if Sentai or another company is considering releasing them physically if the viewcount's high enough? Considering there's so many nostalgia releases coming out lately.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

usamimi wrote:So The Anime Network picked up the streaming options for Battle of the Planets, and it's on Hulu now, too! Makes me wonder if Sentai or another company is considering releasing them physically if the viewcount's high enough? Considering there's so many nostalgia releases coming out lately.
I thought Gatchaman was already being re-released on DVD? Or are you talking about the English dubbed version from way back when?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:
usamimi wrote:So The Anime Network picked up the streaming options for Battle of the Planets, and it's on Hulu now, too! Makes me wonder if Sentai or another company is considering releasing them physically if the viewcount's high enough? Considering there's so many nostalgia releases coming out lately.
I thought Gatchaman was already being re-released on DVD? Or are you talking about the English dubbed version from way back when?
It's the old, English dub edited version (hence why I used the name Battle of the Planets). ;)
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Welp, looks like Discotek picked up Violence Jack...not a title I see myself picking up anytime soon, but hey--there ya go! :lol:
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by ServantOfPriss »

Well, it has NotJun in it, right? Then again, it's not exactly one of my favorites either...
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

My friend from America will arrive tomorrow night, and with him he will have my Mazinger Z box set! Oooh happy happy. Now I just need to buy the 2nd volume of Space Adventure Cobra...
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

usamimi wrote:Welp, looks like Discotek picked up Violence Jack...not a title I see myself picking up anytime soon, but hey--there ya go! :lol:
It seems that this version will have mosaics covering up the nasty bits, too.

I also wonder what the holdup is for Wicked City. It's one of the biggest and most well known old school titles that still hasn't been re-licensed.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I was wondering about that, too. The last one isn't hard to find, but it came out 14 years ago, so...the picture probably isn't that great on it anymore.
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by ServantOfPriss »

From what I know, the only high quality version available has the mosaics. The only truly uncensored one is from Hong Kong VCDs of old.