Warmer months activate my nerd powers

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Warmer months activate my nerd powers

Post by greg »

llj wrote:A lot of geeks hate sports because it stems from their childhood of being poor at sports or being picked on by more sporty kids.
That is certainly my story. I look at how physical education is taught here in Japan, and I appreciate it much better. The kids practice kicking the soccer ball back and forth to each other repeatedly, then later they play an actual game. In my childhood, we always went straight to the game playing. I couldn't kick, and I couldn't throw a ball. They would laugh at me and make fun of me, and by the time I was in junior high, they started accusing me of being a "fag" and it went downhill from there. There ought to be a focus on sportsmanship as well as sports, I think.

As for cyclical hobbies, I certainly have them. I have rarely played any video games for quite a while now. I've mainly been building models in my free time. I do tend to cycle through my obsessions, though.

I certainly got burned out with anime by the late '90s, while I was further along in my college years. I just stopped watching much of it, and the only anime I was exposing myself to was the cutscenes in import Sega Saturn games. It was after I moved to Japan the first time in 2000 when I started connecting more with students, and they helped respark my interest in anime.

As for the lack of intelligence, I think that with the decay of general education in the USA, you're getting far more dorks attending cons and such than actual real nerds. I found a Venn diagram that illustrates the differences of various personality types. It consists of three circles: intelligence, obsession, and social ineptitude. A nerd exhibits all three, while a geek has the intelligence and obsession, but are "cool." A dork, on the other hand, has the social ineptitude and obsession, but lacks intelligence. Reading a video game walkthrough for an RPG and you'll see tons of spelling and grammar errors. That's a good sign of a lack of intelligence. Go spend some time on a typical video game forum too (or an anime forum, for that matter). You will see plenty of examples of dorks.

When I was in school, if you ask a nerd what the Doppler effect is, they could give you an answer. Nerds have a pretty good grasp on stuff like physics and mathematics. Nerds can come in various flavors, such as literature, anthropology, entymology, and the like. I have a coworker friend who is a nerd: he is an introvert like myself, and he excels with plants and cultural studies while he is bad with computers and technology. He knows who Hatsune Miku is, but probaly can't name a single member of the X-Men team. He's more of a nerd though than any given con-attending dork who is into nerdy stuff yet lacks intelligence.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

greg wrote:
llj wrote:A lot of geeks hate sports because it stems from their childhood of being poor at sports or being picked on by more sporty kids.
That is certainly my story. I look at how physical education is taught here in Japan, and I appreciate it much better. The kids practice kicking the soccer ball back and forth to each other repeatedly, then later they play an actual game. In my childhood, we always went straight to the game playing. I couldn't kick, and I couldn't throw a ball. They would laugh at me and make fun of me, and by the time I was in junior high, they started accusing me of being a "fag" and it went downhill from there. There ought to be a focus on sportsmanship as well as sports, I think.

As for cyclical hobbies, I certainly have them. I have rarely played any video games for quite a while now. I've mainly been building models in my free time. I do tend to cycle through my obsessions, though.

I certainly got burned out with anime by the late '90s, while I was further along in my college years. I just stopped watching much of it, and the only anime I was exposing myself to was the cutscenes in import Sega Saturn games. It was after I moved to Japan the first time in 2000 when I started connecting more with students, and they helped respark my interest in anime.

As for the lack of intelligence, I think that with the decay of general education in the USA, you're getting far more dorks attending cons and such than actual real nerds. I found a Venn diagram that illustrates the differences of various personality types. It consists of three circles: intelligence, obsession, and social ineptitude. A nerd exhibits all three, while a geek has the intelligence and obsession, but are "cool." A dork, on the other hand, has the social ineptitude and obsession, but lacks intelligence. Reading a video game walkthrough for an RPG and you'll see tons of spelling and grammar errors. That's a good sign of a lack of intelligence. Go spend some time on a typical video game forum too (or an anime forum, for that matter). You will see plenty of examples of dorks.

When I was in school, if you ask a nerd what the Doppler effect is, they could give you an answer. Nerds have a pretty good grasp on stuff like physics and mathematics. Nerds can come in various flavors, such as literature, anthropology, entymology, and the like. I have a coworker friend who is a nerd: he is an introvert like myself, and he excels with plants and cultural studies while he is bad with computers and technology. He knows who Hatsune Miku is, but probaly can't name a single member of the X-Men team. He's more of a nerd though than any given con-attending dork who is into nerdy stuff yet lacks intelligence.
I was thinking the very same thing. Today's nerds are not the smart kind of nerds of yesteryear. A lot of today's nerds really are dorks or geeks. The geeks are intelligent but usually do not do well in school because of social ineptness. It is really unfortunate because I met some really intelligent geeks. The schools do not protect and promote the smarter kids like when I was a kid. With that "No Child Left Behind" law they advance the underachieves along with the achieving kids. I think that has been a recipe of disaster. By the way, I think your explanation was excellent!
***^__^***
greg

Post by greg »

Well, again, according to the model, geeks are the supposedly cool people who do not suffer from social ineptitude. In fact, they may not hesitate to pick on the nerds.

About the "No Child Left Behind," I am not too familiar with that. Actually, I was nearly hired as an after English school tutor for lagging students for the program, but I wasn't able to procure a teaching license in time. I believe the program was scrapped after Obama became president, wasn't it? In any case, I think the problem with advancing underachievers along with the regular students has been going on since before that program ever came along.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Guyver I
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by Guyver I »

greg wrote:Well, again, according to the model, geeks are the supposedly cool people who do not suffer from social ineptitude. In fact, they may not hesitate to pick on the nerds.

About the "No Child Left Behind," I am not too familiar with that. Actually, I was nearly hired as an after English school tutor for lagging students for the program, but I wasn't able to procure a teaching license in time. I believe the program was scrapped after Obama became president, wasn't it? In any case, I think the problem with advancing underachievers along with the regular students has been going on since before that program ever came along.
While the actual program name might be gone, the mixing of achieving and underachieving students is still going ahead strong, long after Obama was sworn in. And we're beginning to see the fruits of No Child Left Behind, and similar programs, fairly early on - when I give talks on local history around here, I'm amazed by the basic lack of knowledge (i.e. which world powers fought in WWII) exhibited by individuals younger than myself (30, and under). But then again, keep people stupid, they're easier to control.

I can certainly follow, and agree with, much of what has been said in recent posts regarding "nerds," "geeks," and "dorks," as I have encountered all three (particularly dorks, with the social ineptitude - why my friends and I started calling Otakon, Odor-con), but I still do think that all three are overshadowed by the larger group, that doesn't really fit into any of the three, that being the social fans, fandom as a social identity, due to a lack of anything else.

And to respond to davemerril's point earlier - you are absolutely right, in that the internet has changed dramatically how fans communicate with one another; however, I believe the growth of social media, where more and more people are creating and living their lives online, distorts this a bit. I think there is a large difference between the mailing lists and icq rooms of the past, wherein people gathered to talk about topics, and more than likely eventually met (if they hadn't already at a convention); and between social media profiles where people are creating identities, and fan interaction is limited to posting pictures of "who's better? Kirk or Picard?" - and this limited understanding does carry over to the convention scene, particularly the larger shows. Now again, I don't mean that as a blanket statement regarding everyone obviously, but I do think it is a larger, and continuously growing aspect of fandom (again, if it can be called that).

Off topic, but only slightly - was anyone here a member of either the Otakon Mailing List in the mid-late 90s, and its offshoot, the CAML (Cruel Angel Mailing List)?
Nathan Vernon Madison

http://www.pulpmags.org
greg

Post by greg »

Summer so far has been beautiful! The rainy season wasn't too rainy, and June was very cool and breezy instead of humid and stuffy. It's now the first weekend of July and we have yet to hit 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). So it's been a very cool summer so far, but I bet that is somehow attributed to global warming :roll: ...because the alarmists like to have it both ways. :lol:

Today I will be taking the Japanese Langauge Proficiency Test (JLPT) N3 for the second time. I passed it in December, but I'm retrying for a better score. However, due to a lot of crap lately, I haven't been able to study as much as I wanted to these past few weeks leading up to the test.

Regardless, after today's test, I'm ready for a nerd explosion. There are so many things I want to do and have been refraining from doing so in order to study for this test. It's summer, and I want to geek out. My schools will be out of session, and I'll be taking some time off during July and August. I'll be attending the Summer Wonder Festival on July 27th!
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page