Please help me with my Japanese

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
Armblessed
Anime Fan Since: Fill me in!

Please help me with my Japanese

Post by Armblessed »

Hey all!
I'm trying to write a letter to my Japanese penpal and I'm trying to explain that something is popular here. I'm hoping someone can help me explain how to do this correctly. The dictionary I'm using indicates that "hayaru" means popular and that it is a godan verb. My understanding is that with godan verbs, I make it "hayari" and add "masu" to make "hayarimasu" and complete the sentence. The dictionary gives examples of it used as "hayatteimasu". What are they doing to it and what does it mean? Is how I'm trying to use it correct? What is the difference between these two? Is the difference relative to the rest of the sentence?
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Please help me with my Japanese

Post by greg »

To say that something is popular, use ninki aru. For example, to say that Gundam is popular, you'd say Gandamu wa ninki aru. Hayaru is actually a new word for me, but it means to become popular. Hayatteimasu is therefore the present continuous form of the verb, and therefore the one you would be using. For example, to say that Vietnamese food is becoming popular in Tokyo, you'd say Tokyo de bettonamu ryouri wa hayatteimasu (I may have made a mistake the particle, since I always screw those up. Also, Vietnamese pho was a fad a few years back, but maybe not so popular anymore).

An alternative to saying hayatteiru/hayatteimasu would be ninki ni natteiru/natteimasu. Perhaps the other guys who've been in Japan a lot longer than I have can correct me.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Are you writing to your Japanese friend in romaji by chance?

When I was just starting to learn Japanese, I had a Japanese friend who I'd send emails to all in romaji. Fun. :)
Armblessed
Anime Fan Since: Fill me in!

Post by Armblessed »

I sent the first couple messages in romaji because I couldnt figure out how to make the kana with my computer. Then I figured out that Google Translate will transcribe the romaji into kana for me and I copy and paste it over. I don't use Google Translate to help me put sentences together because I don't trust it's translation enough, but it is helpful in deciphering the meaning of what he sends to me.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

The tool of Google translating, lacking that which is.

Seriously, I guess it is better than it used to be. OCN has a better one, I think (can't recall the URL though).

You are using a Windows computer, I assume? To input Japanese, you go into Control Panel and then the Location and Language Options. On the keyboard tab, I think you add the Microsoft IME and choose the Japanese language option. It's been a long time since I've done this, and the computer I am currently using is a Japanese one and I can't view everything properly for security reasons. I'm going off of memory, but I believe this should help a bit.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page