Meitantei Conan

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Re: Meitantei Conan

Post by kndy »

I will also treasure meeting Megumi Hayashibara. Only one autograph though... I have more but on this wall... Go Nagai's drawing of "Cutey Honey", manga artist Rinko Uchida's drawing of my wife Angela...she vacationed in California for two weeks and cooked us dinner because we took her to Borders Bookstore where she purchased a lot of American photography and anatomy books for herself and we helped her carry them back home, Megumi Hayashibara's autograph and Akemi Takada's drawing of Madoka of "Kimagure Orange Road". [and looking at the photo, just realized I need to fix Go Nagai's frame...lol..]

Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

Very nice. It's nice to see how generous folks can be and that it isn't only isolated to a few people. I felt strange accepting Abe-san's invite to the bar with his staff. I felt like I was imposing on him. I had only just met him.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

davemerrill wrote:Cels are one of the few things I am likely to seek out and spend money on at cons. Not a LOT of money, but they're neat to have.

I talked to a friend of mine who was at Sakura-Con and he confirms the lack of attendance at Japanese industry guest events, as well as a general lack of competence among both the convention staff and the fan panelists. On the one hand you'd expect a con that size to have their act together; but on the other, people seem to keep coming back. I dunno.
Unfortunately, even a huge convention that has been around for over two decades like Anime Expo has not gotten their act together. The Momoi Halko situation was where I had to work quickly with her management and get a release out immediately...
Heibi wrote:Very nice. It's nice to see how generous folks can be and that it isn't only isolated to a few people. I felt strange accepting Abe-san's invite to the bar with his staff. I felt like I was imposing on him. I had only just met him.
That's an honor. Sometimes our staff get invited by a guest to go out with them. For example, SUGIZO of the Japanese rock band LUNA SEA (and most recently with X Japan) is a tech guy and he wanted our photos so badly that he invited our photographer in SF out for dinner. And did the same thing for our photographer in NYC. These are rare occasions where you can do these things and might as well enjoy them.
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

Abe-san was the one who introduced me, quite by accident, to my favorite wine(since I don't drink beer) - Sangre de Torro. He also ordered the "good" Sake. We had a real good time.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

kndy wrote:But once again... disappointment as the room featured hundreds getting an autograph from the music guests and the English voice actors. Yet for Suwa-san, only two dozen people were there to get an autograph from him. And this is a convention that brings around 18,000 or more people.

This is really starting to tick me off. Back in the early '90s, I can remember Japanese guests, fans lining up at anime cons for hours to meet these wonderful talents. Now, when you go to these no one hardly shows up and they would rather meet the English voice talent.
This is why I hate anime fans these days. They are so annoying and immature. I bet if Hannah Minx had a panel, the fire marshall would be telling everyone who can't find a chair to leave the room. Yet here is someone who actually makes anime happen---not some lame hack voice actor--- and nobody pays attention to him. I hate modern anime fans. This is also why I'd never bother going to an anime convention. Even if you get to meet someone genuine in-person, the rest of the time you're dodging Narutards and narcissistic cosplayers.
kndy wrote:Believe it or not, this same thing happened last year with voice actor Ryu Horikawa (who does the voice for Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z), Andromeda Shun (Saint Seiya), Heiji Hattori (Detective Conan), Reinhard von Lohengramm (Legend of the Galactic Heroes), hardly anyone came.
He also did the voice for Kou Uraki in Gundam 0083, right? I seem to remember that his voice was the same as Reinhard's.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page