Sega Dreamcast Love

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Sega Dreamcast Love

Post by llj »

There are so many good 2d fighters on the DC. I'd probably say the one I played the most was Garou Mark of the Wolves on the DC. A very good comversion (the Japanese edition, that is)

Last Blade 2 is also a great one, although it doesn't support VGA mode. Not that many 2D fighters look good in VGA, but it's nice to have it since mine is hooked up to a monitor.

The other DC fighter I've put good time into was Tech Romancer.
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCSque0aJwU

I did this video almost 5 years ago and my collection has been updated since then
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

llj wrote:There are so many good 2d fighters on the DC. I'd probably say the one I played the most was Garou Mark of the Wolves on the DC. A very good comversion (the Japanese edition, that is)

Last Blade 2 is also a great one, although it doesn't support VGA mode. Not that many 2D fighters look good in VGA, but it's nice to have it since mine is hooked up to a monitor.

The other DC fighter I've put good time into was Tech Romancer.
That's what I want a Dreamcast for is all the fighters. I have Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. And Power Stone 2. I just collect the games when I can find them till I can get a working system. :lol: Project Justice is always going to be my fave fighting game of all time though. Sad Capcom doesn't do anything with the series nowadays.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Yeah, and Capcom abandoned the Vampire series after Vampire Savior.

I never did play Project Justice. I bet it doesn't come cheap, either. Plenty of people say that it's their favorite fighting game. Heck, there are just SO MANY great fighting games on the DC!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj

Post by llj »

The US version of Project Justice definitely ain't cheap. I'm at the point where it's really the only DC game left to truly complete my "personal" DC collection. In most cases, the JP versions are cheaper than the US versions (since the game collector market in the west is much more active than in Japan) so I probably would go for that if I could find a copy. The JP version also has a few extras that were apparently omitted from the US version. What I paid for to get the JP versions of Garou and Jojo and Last Blade 2 was far less than what the inferior US versions go for. Of course, JP versions aren't so easy to come by in North America, but almost every retro game store usually has a few used DC imports lying around and chances are it's the big name, non-english-heavy import titles that are the ones that will turn up, since it's very likely that the original seller targeted the big name imports when they originally got those games. My retro game store once had JP versions of Power Stone 2, Bangai O, Garou, Sakura Taisen and Jojo. I bought Jojo and Garou for myself, of course. And you won't find much competition to get them. I had to ask the store to bring them out of a storage box to take a look at what they had. DC imports aren't in much demand. I honestly don't know why. It's very easy to play imports on a US DC.

When it comes to DC fighters, it's almost always better to go for the JP version if you can.
greg

Post by greg »

Since shipping to Japan is terribly expensive for eBay auctions, I had my friend nab Record of Lodoss War for the DC, complete and in English, for the DC. It's a Diablo-type game where you walk around hitting stuff with a sword until it stops moving, but I'd still rather have this game in English. I was afraid it would be expensive, but he nabbed it for less than $30. He'll ship it to me.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

It's Saturday morning, and since I woke up early, I could control the TV. I played Maken X and Air Force Delta for the first time. Maken X doesn't get a lot of positive reviews, but I think it is pretty fun! It's a first person shooter, minus the shooting. It's all swordplay.

Air Force Delta is a pretty fun objective-based arcade-y flight sim. Unlimited bullets, unlimited missiles. I bought these two games along with Power Stone for 3-for-500 yen several months back, and I am finally getting around to playing these games.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj

Post by llj »

Dreamcast games starting to get scarce in my area. Looks like the fact that DC games can easily be bootlegged doesn't deter people from snapping up copies of all the good games. I snagged a coverless copy of SFIII Double Impact for $5.00 us this week. I guess I could just find a picture of the front and back covers online and print it out and slot it into the jewel case.
greg

Post by greg »

I recently picked up Phantasy Star Online ver. 2. Of course, I cannot play the game online (I don't even own the fabled Ethernet adapter for my DC), but I've been playing it in offline mode. I wish I hadn't chosen a gunner, because I always find myself running away from enemies and shooting them with distance attacks. I'd rather be hacking and slashing up close.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Well the internet and Japan is relatively still full of great DC titles.