XBox One Launch in Japan

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

XBox One Launch in Japan

Post by ParaParaJMo »

http://kotaku.com/japans-xbox-one-launc ... Socialflow

For the longest time until like 2 weeks ago, I saw little to no advertisements in Xbox 1 and most of my gamer friends had no idea a new xbox was coming out. Hell, 360 support for Japan fell way back in 2010 I believe.

Considering that the first xbox and 360 failed in Japan, I am not surprised
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: XBox One Launch in Japan

Post by greg »

The 360 enjoyed a bit of a niche market, and had many similarities with the Dreamcast, actually. The IDOLM@STER games and the various shmups helped to carve a niche for the system in Japan.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo

Post by ParaParaJMo »

And I think the same with Blue Dragon but I remember the first XBox TANKED in Japan.
ParaParaJMo

Post by ParaParaJMo »

My brother and I joked that probably within 2 years, the Xbox one will probably be buried in a radioactive wasteland in Fukushima like how ET Atari cartridges were buried in the Alamogordo desert.
greg

Post by greg »

Did you hear about that, btw? Archaeologists dug up the cartridges, proving the urban legend to be true. That's pretty amazing. Apparently the new Angry Video Game Nerd movie revolves around the E.T. game for Atari.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Well, I knew it was true to begin with when there were already articles confirming the existence of the burial as far back as when they did it. I think the then mayor of the area also said so.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

ParaParaJMo wrote:My brother and I joked that probably within 2 years, the Xbox one will probably be buried in a radioactive wasteland in Fukushima like how ET Atari cartridges were buried in the Alamogordo desert.
At least you can still play those ET carts safely if you dug them up and they somehow worked. Xbox One buried in Fukushima would be a terrible waste for treasure hunters in the future. :(
ParaParaJMo

Post by ParaParaJMo »

So the Atari cartridges were still playable?

Maybe they can seal the xboxes in radioactive resistant cases and then bury them and then just seal it with concrete.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

ParaParaJMo wrote:So the Atari cartridges were still playable?

Maybe they can seal the xboxes in radioactive resistant cases and then bury them and then just seal it with concrete.
Honestly, I don't know why Atari dumped them in a landfill. They could have just placed them on various street corners and stuck up a sign that said "free game, take as many as you want" and I'm sure people would have taken them. The reputation of ET's badness hadn't yet taken root in the early 80s.

Or donate them to Savers/Value Village. :lol:
greg

Post by greg »

Ironically, as dumb as E.T. was, at least it was playable. I had the flying saucer come pick me up several times. I found the Raiders of the Lost Ark game for the 2600 to be far more cryptic and impossible to play without using the strategy guide in the instructions. "WARNING! Don't read beyond this page unless you need to know what to do next!" Well the game was so surreal that I couldn't even play the game without following that walkthrough. How was I supposed to know that the vaccuum cleaner-looking thing was supposed to be a flute? How would I know that the flute had to be played to keep the snakes away from me in the Well of the Souls? And how the heck would I know that if the tip of my hat was overlapping the flute seller's sprite that he would be dishonored and refuse to sell it to me? And how was I supposed to know that the weird blobby thing was supposed to be the flute seller?

Even worse are games such as Superman 64. Having people complain about the 2600 E.T. game as the worst game ever made is like listening to people claim that Plan 9 From Outer Space is the worst movie ever made. There are far, far worse out there...
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page