Laserdiscs

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Laserdiscs

Post by greg »

When I think there was a push to get KOR released on LD by AnimEigo, my friend played some part in it, and his name was credited on one of the LDs at the end of the credits or something. He showed it to me once.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:When I think there was a push to get KOR released on LD by AnimEigo, my friend played some part in it, and his name was credited on one of the LDs at the end of the credits or something. He showed it to me once.
Ahh...yes, the KOR LD's and I believe they did the same with Urusei Yatsura. In order to do the LD pressing, Robert Woodhead needed 500 people to confirm that they would buy. All those who confirmed would get their name on the LD.
greg

Post by greg »

Yes, that's it. He bought the LDs upon release, I think.

I really wish AnimEigo would pull out of the downward direction they're in. I'm just hoping that Discotek will continue to do well, since they seem to have a heart for the good stuff just as AnimEigo did.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Here are my LDs:

Top to bottom, left to right: Babel 2 1-8, Macross DYRL, Rose Of Versailles vol. 7, Galaxy Express 999 movie box set

Mushi Productions TV OP and ED, Horus Prince Of The Sun (aka Little Norse Prince), Blue Sonnet, Demon City Shinjuku (US release)

Patlabor TV box 2, Space Pirate Captain Harlock box 2, Future Boy Conan box

Flying Phantom Ship, Eternal Orbit SSX box 1, Urusei Yatsura TV vol 2 and 3 (vol 2 is laser-rotting away)

Queen Millenia, Danguard Ace 1-8

Not shown: a Japanese Davy Jones concert LD, a Renault Alliance car dealership training LD, one of AnimEigo's Astro Boy LDs, the movie "What's Up Tiger Lily", the R.E.M. music video LD "R.E.M. Succumbs", and a LD of the MTV show "IRS The Cutting Edge". I have had other LDs in the past, but I think this is the most I've ever had at any one time.

Fun fact: the only LD I saw for sale in Japan was the Criterion Edition release of "Akira" at a shop in Kanda. The proprietor asked me in halting English if I knew what a LD was, which is the same exact question I get when flipping through LDs in flea markets and antique malls across the American Midwest.
greg

Post by greg »

The problem with LDs is laser rot. It's really a gamble because you never know when laser rot will strike. I have the Future Boy Conan box set that Dave has pictured above, and it served us for several years. Then a few months ago in November or so, we watched the series with our daughter. The last half of the final episode really crapped out on us, although the last time we'd watched it, it was perfectly fine. It's disappointing!
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

The UY discs were rotted when I got them, ditto the Whats Up Tiger Lily. Actually I borrowed that one and never gave it back. I should give it back next time I'm down in ATL. The Conans looked fine the last time I watched them, but it's been a few years. I transferred them all to DVD, so there's a backup. I've had that show on VHS, on VHS in Spanish, on Beta with subtitles, as digital files with subtitles, on LD and on DVD. Next on "Hoarders"...
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

davemerrill wrote:I've had that show on VHS, on VHS in Spanish, on Beta with subtitles, as digital files with subtitles, on LD and on DVD. Next on "Hoarders"...
What's your favorite version?
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

The show actually works really well in Spanish. "El Capitan Diaz", etc. Seriously though, the fansub that's out there on the internets is swell, I've got no complaints.
xsquid
Anime Fan Since: The Johnson Administration

Post by xsquid »

greg wrote:I can't remember the name of the end song, but I think it's the best Macross song. I still hear that song on occasion in department stores in Japan, as well as the main song, "Oboeteimasuka?" Those two songs have stood the test of time, and whenever I hear either playing in a Japanese department store, my nerd senses tingle.
That song is "Angel's Paintbox" and it makes my spirits soar just to hear it. It is the best Macross song.
I'm so very sorry that Kentaro Haneda will never write any more music like that, but man, the stuff he left us!
greg

Post by greg »

xsquid wrote:That song is "Angel's Paintbox" and it makes my spirits soar just to hear it. It is the best Macross song.
Yes, that's the song! That was an older post I'd made. I've since then picked up a Mari Iijima "best of" type of CD called "Gold/Best Takes" it has this song and the DYRL song. It also has the big songs from the Macross TV show, but only one or two of those I actually care for. At least "My Boyfriend's A Pilot" isn't vomit-inducing like Robotech's "Stagefright"!
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page