How much are VHS worth, really?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: How much are VHS worth, really?

Post by _D_ »

Patlabor for one. My bud's store had lots of stuff like Maison Ikkoku as I recall. Will check today.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

_D_ wrote:Patlabor for one. My bud's store had lots of stuff like Maison Ikkoku as I recall. Will check today.
Hmm I might be interested in the Maison Ikkoku.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

While I was out shopping, I saw Genocyber Collection on DVD used for $20. I looked it up on eBay and it seemed somewhat rare. Should I pick this up?
animusubi
twitter | instagram
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Not if you can get the Mecha Masters Collection for close to the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

danth wrote:Not if you can get the Mecha Masters Collection for close to the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
Oh wow, that's a nice collection. Much more worth it, and new too. Thanks for letting me know! :)
animusubi
twitter | instagram
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

Saw Lupin the III Vol. 5 DVD used for $50 today. Also saw Image Ent/Streamline Pictures ver. DVD Mystery of Mamo for $9.
animusubi
twitter | instagram
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Wow, I wasn't aware that any Streamline productions were released on DVD.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

Got quite a few hauls of VHS tapes lately. I also spoke to several good sellers on eBay with how well their VHS are selling. One girl kept putting up combined lots of her collection, and in general she said they took quite a long time to sell, eventhough they were priced pretty low to begin with. She had to repost them at least 3-4 times to get anyone to buy them. In general they sold at least $1 per tape, $2 in some cases. She sold her whole Slayers VHS collection for about $10, and that's probably over 20 tapes. However there are a few Buy It Now I've seen sell for VHS for $5 per tape, but they were either in excellent condition, or it was just easier to buy it right off (especially if you're not interested in lots).

It's been 3 months or so since I've been watching how well VHS sell, and it looks like I was right to begin with that the used ones are pretty much only worth $2 or less. Unless they are not on DVD. It's been paying off for me to wait for low open bid lots.
animusubi
twitter | instagram
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

You could of course sell tapes yourself to recover the costs of buying stuff you DO want. I used to do that all the time while out and about. I have a list of films that never came out on DVD that I check against the tapes I find at local pawn shops. DVDs that are out of print have their own list. I recently found a good copy of "Big Man on Campus" for $1 that I can probably flip on Ebay for $25. I find lots of tapes like that. Keeps my costs down for buying stuff on Ebay. It used to be a lot easier to find VHS but yard sales, flea markets, estate sales, etc. can be very fun and lucrative. Been doing this for many years now...
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

_D_ wrote:You could of course sell tapes yourself to recover the costs of buying stuff you DO want. I used to do that all the time while out and about. I have a list of films that never came out on DVD that I check against the tapes I find at local pawn shops. DVDs that are out of print have their own list. I recently found a good copy of "Big Man on Campus" for $1 that I can probably flip on Ebay for $25. I find lots of tapes like that. Keeps my costs down for buying stuff on Ebay. It used to be a lot easier to find VHS but yard sales, flea markets, estate sales, etc. can be very fun and lucrative. Been doing this for many years now...
Oh yeah, especially since I am buying lots and getting them from friends, I'll end up putting the doubles or ones I don't want up here or selling them elsewhere. Or even giving them out.

I'm sort of a thrift shop regular~ :lol: Got started doing it at a young age, when my parents and grandparents loved going to thrift stores and swap meets. Man the toys they had back then! But nowadays it is getting increasingly harder to find anime VHS at either type of place. And I hear more and more from used-to-be anime fans they donated or threw their collections out.
animusubi
twitter | instagram