Anime/Manga stuff you tossed out, but now wish you hadn't

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Anime/Manga stuff you tossed out, but now wish you hadn'

Post by _D_ »

My bud is going to start getting rid of his store DVD collection of anime. I can probably get a lot of stuff but I'm not sure if I want to anymore. No more time to watch what I have now and then try to add even more stuff to the list.

Currently sorting out what's left of my comics collection into a couple piles. The English translated manga is getting bigger and bigger with each box I go through. The pre 1970 pile is also getting larger and larger. Shame I sold most of the stuff off when I needed the money for college 30 years ago but I've been acquiring more stuff as time goes on. Picked up a bunch of old comics last weekend at 3 for a dollar from a flea market, including a run of Jack Kirby's Silver Star from Pacific Comics, some early 60's Dell and Gold Key Popeye, Peanuts, Porky Pig, Yogi Bear and Looney Tunes, a couple of mid 60's Sugar and Spike and a 1953 Walter Lantz Woody Woodpecker. I missed out on a bunch of late 50's to early 60's western comics like Bat Masterson, Gunsmoke and Bonanza when a dealer cherry picked them before the event started. Next time, that particular dealer said he will keep the books for me. Also got an issue of Great West from 1967. Lots of good reading here for the next little while. Of course, I can always read the comics I'll be helping sort at my bud's store though that slows the sorting process down somewhat. Most of the stuff I was looking at the other day were pre-1961 DC superhero comics, which was before I started to actively collect comics as a kid. A very nice way to spend an afternoon...
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

_D_, if your video store pal decides to have a clearance sale and there's any sort of list of what's available, let us know and we might take some of that stuff off his hands.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Ditto to that!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Let me know if he has the final two volumes of Aura Battler Dunbine. If I had only known those would be so rare.... Yikes. I didn't start collecting the DVDs until it was probably already too late.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Anime-Kyo-Uk
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by Anime-Kyo-Uk »

Lost or destroyed by snails Pal VHS tapes of Robotech, “Once upon a time”, and “Crushers” sold and or given away Original Japanese Outladers manga, Japanese English translation of the Dirty Pair novel, Original Japanese manga of “Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind” (4 Volumes all printed in sepia). Oh and the X-wife keeping the totoro & porco rosso plush toys!
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:I wish I hadn't sold all my Ranma 1/2 manga to Bookmans (a used books and media chain) before I moved to Japan. I had at least 2/3rds of the series, but I had to make some painful decisions. I also had kept the boxes for all my anime figures, but I had to toss out the boxes to so many of them to maximize space when shipping them to Japan. I also sold several of the figures to Bookmans, and they probably paid me for more than I originally bought them for in Japan. The move was painful, but it forced me to really analyze what I truly wanted and what was just clutter.
I would imagine you can find the "Ranma 1/2" manga used in Japan easily though right? Like the "Kimagure Orange Road", hopefully you can score them quite cheaply?
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I wish I would have kept a few choice items. I gave away some a lot of my very raunchy videos. Keiko Kamen, Urodostukodoji, Here is Greenwood, and Weather Report Woman were in the adult collection I gave away. I do not know If I could allow myself to watch Keiko Kamen again, but I wish I had not given the film away. The erotica were also an art form.
Actually, I should have at least SOLD the movies and got my money back. I really do not want to be watching that stuff anymore. I just hate to lose the money invested. There was some stuff I sold that I really miss.

I had a series of financially difficult years after I left graduate school. I sold my entire collection for food, cigarettes, and gasoline money when I was between jobs. Life got easier for me when I got stable employment. I no longer smoke now; and I am very happy about that. I have bought back my entire collection minus a lot of adult erotic I did not replace. This second anime collection is bigger and better quality collection than I had before. I now have a selection of anime soundtracks. I usually try to buy multiple copies of the soundtracks for gifts or resale later. My current collection has other differences form the first.

There are some anime that I had in the first collection that I did not want anymore. Most of the titles were anime flops or anime that I can buy anytime, such as, Studio Ghibli. I am going to wait on replacing Princess Mononoke or Spirited away. I usually add anime to the collection when I find out of print anime that is quality. I add the four DVD of Mermaid's Scar which is out of print. I also move fast to get cheap multiple copies of anime soundtracks. I have found quality soundtracks for five dollars or less on amazon. Some times ebay is a great source for out-of-print or rare anime soundtracks or anime DVD. Those titles that will always be available for sale; I will wait on those. I got to buy me a violin to go with my two cellos. ^__^
***^__^***
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I wouldn't call Here is Greenwood "adult" at all... I watched that one when I just started high school (rented it from the video store, even!)
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Here is Greenwood COOOULD be the title of a raunchy anime! LMAO :lol:
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ryoran wrote:Here is Greenwood COOOULD be the title of a raunchy anime! LMAO :lol:
Haha, I wouldn't want anything called a "greenwood" anywhere near me! :lol: It sounds like some kind of disease!