Apollo Smile!!!1!1!1

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Re: Apollo Smile!!!1!1!1

Post by mbanu »

It looks like she's experimenting with a return to voice acting: https://www.voices.com/actors/Apollo67 (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Huh interesting. It'd be cool to see her try to get back into stuff (her voice isn't bad, I think a lot of her more cheesier performances where a product of the time and poor direction, tbh), so I hope this is actually her and not someone just pretending to be her.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
mbanu

Post by mbanu »

I agree! Although if it isn't her, it must be one of her biggest fans -- I mean, where would you even find recordings of Apollo Smile reciting Shel Silverstein poems???
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

mbanu wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:00 am I agree! Although if it isn't her, it must be one of her biggest fans -- I mean, where would you even find recordings of Apollo Smile reciting Shel Silverstein poems???
Haha, that's true! I assume it's probably her, because there really can't be many of us leftover who even remember her :lol:
Fvlminatvs
Anime Fan Since: 1981

Post by Fvlminatvs »

usamimi wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:10 amHaha, that's true! I assume it's probably her, because there really can't be many of us leftover who even remember her :lol:
Pepperidge Farm remembers, as do I.

She did the introductions to Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer the first time I saw it on SciFi Channel's 1998 anime week. Unfortunately, when I taped it, I paused recording during the commercial breaks and everything so I only recorded the movie itself. Now, I kind of regret that.

Nevertheless, some kind souls actually put that exact footage on YouTube so we can take a trip back down memory lane:

https://youtu.be/SS3mD8hqpvA
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 am Huh interesting. It'd be cool to see her try to get back into stuff (her voice isn't bad, I think a lot of her more cheesier performances where a product of the time and poor direction, tbh), so I hope this is actually her and not someone just pretending to be her.
I actually thought her voice work in Space Channel 5 was good even if I was definitely not a fan of the whole Live Action Anime Girl schtick.
Fvlminatvs wrote: She did the introductions to Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer the first time I saw it on SciFi Channel's 1998 anime week. Unfortunately, when I taped it, I paused recording during the commercial breaks and everything so I only recorded the movie itself. Now, I kind of regret that.
I think I ended up taping over my copy - but it's nice there is an easy-to-link copy available on the Internet.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:55 pm I actually thought her voice work in Space Channel 5 was good even if I was definitely not a fan of the whole Live Action Anime Girl schtick.
We can't deny the delivery was like a cheesy Video Girl Ai VJ (almost!), however she was indeed very much ahead of her time! Proto-weeb culture :) Gotta love it haha.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

She was definitely a lot if fun in Space Channel 5! She wasn't bad in the handful of voice over roles she did. And i totally agree with PinkAppleJam that she was just slightly ahead of the curve. She knew how to market herseIf & was legitimately talented as a singer, choreographer, ect. If she was just a few years later, I bet she'd be right up there with Yaya Han as a well known otaku celebrity :lol:
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 am If she was just a few years later, I bet she'd be right up there with Yaya Han as a well known otaku celebrity :lol:
You both are totally right about that!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
mbanu

Post by mbanu »

apollo-fight.jpg
apollo-fight.jpg (184.99 KiB) Viewed 2072 times

Unexpected Apollo Smile in this martial arts video from 2001: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaQ2QITnKzw :)