The River City Ransom series

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

The River City Ransom series

Post by mbanu »

I was a big fan of those games as a kid. Well, mostly River City Ransom and Nintendo World Cup (I was so surprised when I noticed that they had the same characters -- it wouldn't be until later than I learned they were from the same series in Japan.)

After the NES was a dead system, I picked up Crash n' the Boys: Street Challenge at Funcoland for a couple dollars, and enjoyed that too.

These games are also what lead me to a love of yankii (ヤンキー) anime, when I discovered that that was an actual thing. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Re: The River City Ransom series

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Love this series! Nintendo World Cup I believe used the same sprites (developed by Temco?).

As a kid there was a big chasm of no anime (not even any coproductions) on kid's tv in the UK after Samurai Pizza cats ('91-ish) and I got very much into Nintendo 1992-1996, so the video game art had huge charm and was a big influence on me.

I have 2 Famicom games I played again recently, very silly, wish my Japanese vocab was better though!!
mbanu

Post by mbanu »

Hot-blooded Kunio-kun is the series name, I think: http://www.kuniokun.jp/

Technōs Japan was the original company. (^_^) They went out of business in 1996, but the franchise was picked up by another company in Japan, Million Co. Ltd., who made a few more games, until they were bought out by Arc System Works.
mbanu

Post by mbanu »

It looks like Arc System Works has sublicensed the internationalized version of the series to a developer who is making a new game -- should be out by the end of the month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VphbX86KUYQ
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

That's incredible! Added to my wishlist (not that I bother with Steam ATM, but...!) TY!