Cassette Girl

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Cassette Girl

Post by mbanu »

(http://animatorexpo.com/cassettegirl/)
(PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6zL9n9z78)

Did anyone see this when it was streaming? A little fan-servicey, but I think the premise is one that old school fans could appreciate. (^_^) it's about a girl who pilots a mecha that can play Betamax tapes, providing powers to the pilot based on the content of the tape. She travels a post-apocalyptic wasteland looking for old video stores to increase her supply, while being hunted by the Media Police, who have made possession of old forms of media illegal.

It was just a one-shot short, but I'd love to see a series made out of it. (^_^) Not sure if it will happen though, as it was made using an experimental 2D/3DCG hybrid that many folks don't think would scale up well for a full show.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Cassette Girl

Post by usamimi »

Yes! I really enjoyed this short, it was so fun. I also loved that it starred Megumi Hayashibara & Koichi Yamadera, both great seiyuu we know from tons of old stuff. :D
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Head's up: they put Cassette Girl back online for a limited time if you missed seeing it the first time!
zimmerit
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by zimmerit »

usamimi wrote:Head's up: they put Cassette Girl back online for a limited time if you missed seeing it the first time!
They just announced an artbook for it as well, due in May: https://animatorexpo.com/news/179
Preorders are up on Amazon.jp, too: http://amzn.asia/drmj5tt
Sean // zimmerit.moe
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Very nice! I wouldn't mind getting a copy of that. Thanks for the link!
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Wow, everything about this is amazing! They really nailed that energetic old school anime feel with it. And there's a definite Project A-KO or Burn Up vibe from this, especially with the fanservice, mechs, and frenetic art style. All of the '80s references are great too, with the G1 Optimus Prime robot being the most obvious. Also, when she's in the video store, the gun she's holding is clearly the same gun Robocop uses in the '87 film.

I hope they end up doing something more with the concept. Personally, I think Cassette Girl would translate better to a feature-length anime, instead of a series. But maybe that's just me...I've been having a difficult go of watching recent anime shows...mostly due to so much muddled plotting (slow starts and weak endings). I wish we'd see a return to more original concept sci-fi anime films, like in the '80s/'90s. I had hoped Expelled From Paradise would've jumpstarted that trend, but no such luck.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

I don't suppose there's any chance this ever got an overseas release? The internet says that the whole Japan Animator Expo (other than a few with rights issues) got a release in Japan as part of a Dragon Dentist special edition, but no English subtitles on that one. (I'd check the original website, but it redirects to a spam site now. :lol: )

Any clues?
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

As far as I know, none of the Animator Expo shorts have gotten an English release. Which is such a shame, if they were available & affordable I'd love to own one!
George W
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by George W »

I found it on youtube after a little searching.

It definitely had a Daicon vibe to it - I saw several scenes riffed from that, but if it is what it says it is (cassette girl) then if she was playing the Daicon intro tape, that is what she should be doing, right?

It was short - that's for certain. I think it was an interesting concept, worthy of more screen time.