space battleship yamato and DMCA for dummies

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

space battleship yamato and DMCA for dummies

Post by davemerrill »

So a while back I wrote a goofy article about Space Battleship Yamato for the Let's Anime blog, a "for dummies" cheat sheet of less than serious facts about the show. The article sat quietly for a while and then last week I got an email from Google about it, informing me that there had been a DMCA filed against that blog post for copyright infringement.
dcma_notice.jpg
dcma_notice.jpg (85.57 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
I was all like, whaaaaaat? The text is all my own writing and the images are fair use. So I filed a counter-claim and did a little poking around and it turns out "Remove Your Media LLC" is a hired-gun DMCA filing outfit that copyright holders and licencees hire to poke around the internets and file DMCA claims on their behalf. A bunch of anime bloggers had gotten DMCA notices from the same outfit on behalf of Viz, Crunchyroll, FUNimation, etc.

So a few days later, Blogger got back to me and informed me that my blog was NOT infringing and that I was free to take it out of the "draft" folder in which it had been placed, which I did, after a little editing and link fixing, and everyone can now enjoy it again.
dcma2.jpg
dcma2.jpg (25.45 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
If you're interested in learning about Space Battleship Yamato For Dummies, the post is now here: http://letsanime.blogspot.ca/2009/12/sp ... mmies.html
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Re: space battleship yamato and DMCA for dummies

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Glad that got sorted out!!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: space battleship yamato and DMCA for dummies

Post by usamimi »

I saw your posts about that on twitter....lol oh the joys of automated filing, huh? :roll: Glad they realized the mistake.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*