looks like I'm looking at Lyrica

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

looks like I'm looking at Lyrica

Post by davemerrill »

I came home from Xmas with a big stack of LYRICA magazines - you know, the Sanrio shoujo manga mag from the late 70s where Tezuka's Unico premiered, right? Turns out it's packed with swell 1970s shoujo manga goodness, lots of Hello Kitty ads, and even a taste of the attempted American version of Lyrica that didn't quite pan out. I wrote a big Let's Anime all about the thing, go check it out!

http://letsanime.blogspot.ca/2018/01/lo ... yrica.html
77-4 unico.jpg
77-4 unico.jpg (118.84 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
78-7c.jpg
78-7c.jpg (154.6 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
lyricacovers.jpg
lyricacovers.jpg (244.16 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: looks like I'm looking at Lyrica

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Really dug this article! Admittedly, I've been wanting to explore more shoujou and jousei manga for a long time, so it was nice to get a glimpse of something that had a different historical perspective and influence than some of the more common titles I'm familiar with - your Ribbons, Nakayoshis, etc.

I did feel like there was a bit of a different tone in this article compared to some of your other pieces - intentional or not? Still a great write up but if I hadn't seen it on Let's Anime, I don't know that I'd have been able to place it as a Dave Merrill article.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I felt like I got to work in a few good phrases - "not enough trees in the world", etc., but I did have to some research on this one that got a little overpowering at times. I wanted to credit all the artwork I showed, so I had to translate the artists' names, and then double-check my translations. I wanted to mention the potential American version without relying too heavily on Fred Patten's previous work on the subject.

In general my Let's Anime columns are getting longer and more factual, and less "here's this crazy thing," maybe. I guess I need to dig out some more crazy shows to write about.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Another great article! I'm still jealous of a friend of mine who found some old Lyrica issues at one of the California Book-Offs that had Unico in them! What are the odds, right? XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Loved reading this and seeing all the lovely screenshots too! Thanks Dave :)