Non-Anime Project - Tredegar Iron Works Documentary

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
Guyver I
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Non-Anime Project - Tredegar Iron Works Documentary

Post by Guyver I »

I just wanted to post a link to a recent project of mine, a trailer for documentary I co-produced (and appear in) that will air on PBS in April, in case anyone on here is interested in the subject matter. Industrial and economic history are kind of a small crowd in general, but hey, never know.

For the last few years, I've taken something of a break from pop-culture history, aside from panels at SDCC, to work on projects related to my other main interest: industrial/economic history. One of the sites I've focused on is Richmond industry, and that of the Tredegar Iron Works in particular. Tredegar was an iron works that was in operation from 1837 to 1957, and is probably most well-known as the chief cannon manufacturer to the Confederacy during the Civil War, and a central target for the Union army. I don't have much interest in the Civil War personally, but rather the history of the industry itself. One of my books is a history of Tredegar and its place in the larger American industrial landscape.

The film, for which I don't have an exact airdate yet, details the parallel histories of Tredegar; its namesake, an iron establishment and surrounding company town in southeastern Wales; and the men who traveled from the Old World to the New, and helped jumpstart much of American industry. Wales, and the southeast region in particular, was a primary driver of Britain's industrial revolution, being home to vast deposits of iron ore, coal, and other natural resources.

If anyone has an interest in European, industrial, or Civil War history, it's certainly worth checking out, and I'll put up more info when I have an actual airdate. And if you don't, well thanks for reading, regardless! After a few more similar projects this year, I'm hoping to work on a few popular culture and anime-related things I've had on the back burner for a while, now.

Thanks again!

https://youtu.be/1NBzTYjIaq4
Nathan Vernon Madison

http://www.pulpmags.org
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Non-Anime Project - Tredegar Iron Works Documentary

Post by DKop »

I'm definetly down for watching this, you got my support. Do you have an interview role in the film or did you just work on the production side of the documentary?
Guyver I

Post by Guyver I »

Ah, thanks man! I'll keep updates posted. Like I said, PBS just told me a prime-time slot in April, but I have to wait until the April schedule is released for an exact date. Not sure why, but hey, they know how to run this stuff better than I do.

And, actually yeah I'm in it a decent amount, on the American side of things, at least - I'm actually the bearded fellow in the preview, there.
Nathan Vernon Madison

DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

The redheaded bearded guy?
Guyver I

Post by Guyver I »

Yeah, with the glasses? Haha, that would be me.
Nathan Vernon Madison

davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

This is super cool, definitely keep us posted when it's airing!