Yet another younger fan here

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Valand
Anime Fan Since: 2003

Yet another younger fan here

Post by Valand »

Hello everyone!

I'm another one of those younger fans (26) who has come to appreciate older anime and much more so than the newer ones. I joined this forum mainly because of a discrepancy between me and other people of my generation. Basically my favorite period in anime is somewhere around 1983-1991 and trying to discuss that with people my age is mostly hopeless. People even refer to anime of the early 2000s as old school.

I'm also not very good at keeping up with new anime as there's still older ones I'd rather want to discover. I haven't watched anything newer than 2014, although I'm waiting for new seasons of a couple of series from back then.

The reasons I prefer old anime are many. I'd say the main one being aesthetics. I like the drawing styles better, more defined noses, varying stroke widths, etc. and the character designs are better as well. I also like the expression of painted cel animation with more vivid colors and hand painted lighting and effects. It's also good to get away from all over the top moe of contemporary anime and I even prefer the soundtrack.
My appreciation for the visual aspect of anime has also resulted in buying a lot of artbooks as well as a couple of cels and a shikishi.

If you feel like I left something out in this introduction, ask away!
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Re: Yet another younger fan here

Post by karageko »

Valand wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:05 am I'm another one of those younger fans (26) who has come to appreciate older anime and much more so than the newer ones. I joined this forum mainly because of a discrepancy between me and other people of my generation. Basically my favorite period in anime is somewhere around 1983-1991 and trying to discuss that with people my age is mostly hopeless. People even refer to anime of the early 2000s as old school.
Someone else understands my struggle :cry: . Welcome aboard!
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
Valand

Post by Valand »

karageko wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:51 am Someone else understands my struggle :cry: . Welcome aboard!
Definitely! I read your introduction as well and I also recognize your remark on people not being interested in the work behind anime etc.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Welcome to the board, Valand!

Hearing people describe anime post 2000 as "old school" is just infuriating. Come on fellas, if that anime's not old enough to buy liquor, it's not "old school".
Valand

Post by Valand »

Thank you. That's a silly but great metaphor, I'll make sure to remember it!
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

davemerrill wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:31 am Welcome to the board, Valand!

Hearing people describe anime post 2000 as "old school" is just infuriating. Come on fellas, if that anime's not old enough to buy liquor, it's not "old school".
So Harlock can get his Wine all legal like ^_^
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Welcome! Always good to see new faces!
davemerrill wrote: Hearing people describe anime post 2000 as "old school" is just infuriating. Come on fellas, if that anime's not old enough to buy liquor, it's not "old school".
I've probably told this story before, but a few years ago I got a Rightstuf newsletter email for a "classic" anime sale, and the 2 images in the email were of Astro Boy and........Death Note. :lol: I was like "oh yeah, I forgot I'm basically a fossil, lol."
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

Valand wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:05 amMy appreciation for the visual aspect of anime has also resulted in buying..a couple of cels and a shikishi.
Yay! Another fellow collector! Do you have scans of them online?! I wanna see :D
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

runesaint wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:48 pm
davemerrill wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:31 am Welcome to the board, Valand!

So Harlock can get his Wine all legal like ^_^
Man, just think next year Cowboy Bebop will be hold enough to drink! My anime grows up so fast... ;)
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Dear lord I meant "old." I'm done for the day, welcome to the forums Valand.