PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
Valand
Anime Fan Since: 2003

PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16

Post by Valand »

Not the most popular console out there, but as mentioned elsewhere this is something I picked up a few year ago. What people in the west usually don't realize is that it was more popular in Japan than anything Sega had to offer. With over 700 games it's worth looking into and the CD games are especially interesting thanks to their audiovisual capabilities.

For anime fans there are lots of games based on anime. Macross, Cobra, Yuu-Yuu Hakusho, Nadia, Patlabor, Ranma, Bubblegum Crash, Yamato, Dragon Half, Oedo 808, 3x3 Eyes, Conan, Mikami, Gubuster, Dragon Ball Z, Doraemon, Tenchi Muyo, Urusei Yatsura, Yawara!, Lodoss War etc. Some of these are digital comics which require you to know some Japanese, but most aren't.

I linked a few of the titles above to their respective game openings. Most of the others have them as well.

As with any console the best games tend to be games originally and not licenced from anime/movies etc. In my opinion the Ys games which have been ported to tons of systems over the years should be played on PCE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr2M1523t6s

Does anyone here own this system?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16

Post by DKop »

I know the Gall Force, Sol Bianca and BG Crash games were the only ones I was interested in playing for the TG16. There's emulators out there now that can allow people like me to play them on my PC, and i've tried them. There is an english patch/translation for Crash, and Sol Bianca is a typical top down RPG game I think (didn't get that far into it). Oedo I couldn't figure out what to do so I didn't play it for too long. Curious on how the Gall Force games play, but im sure they're very similar.

I have yet to own the system, but if I did I would get the CD version to play these games.
Valand

Post by Valand »

If you like games in general, there's a lot more to discover.

In any case I haven't heard of any Gall Force game for this system. I know there's a Famicom and an MSX game though. Are you sure these aren't the ones you have in mind? I can't seem to find any others.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I own the TG-16 along with an adapter to play PC Engine Hucards.

Very cool system. It is erroneously labelled as inferior to the SNES and Genesis, but in reality it was probably right between the two. It displayed more colors than the Genesis, but was slower. It had a faster processor than the SNES but was graphically inferior.

Obviously, the CD games are the most sought after. I don't own the CD-ROM so all I can do is play them through emulators.

I don't really play any of the anime-based games, but the Valis games are anime-like and come recommended. Also, Dracula X which is the most renowned PC Engine platformer.

Also want to give a +1 to the Ys games on the PC Engine. Fantastic music. Probably the best versions of those games soundtrack wise.
Valand

Post by Valand »

I don't play a lot of anime based games either, but I own a few that came with the system. I just thought it might be of interest considering what forum this is.

As for HuCard games I recommend Hani on the Road. I didn't have any expectations for this one at all but has become one of my absolute favorites. It's Japanese only, but you aren't required to know any Japanese to enjoy it. But yes, in general the CD games are the most interesting.

Yes, the music in YS I&II and III is simply amazing and Ryo Yonemitsu's arrangement beats any other version before or after in my opinion.

Lots of talents you would recognize from anime have also contributed to other games. You can find everything from Akemi Takada's art to Joe Hisaishi's music.