How many of us kept their old collections?

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: How many of us kept their old collections?

Post by _D_ »

The problem as it stands right now is if there is ANY interest in preserving any series other than DB at this point, at least from fans on this side of the ocean. I frequent sites with information on things that have gone missing that I might have but even getting the info in the first place can be difficult. Sometimes writing in the forum as well as article authors just falls on deaf ears, which is extremely frustrating. Things get mentioned, I say that I have what they are looking for and then I don't hear back from them. Anime is a bad sticking point. Many series other than DB were released over here also with bad audio but no one seems to care. Other than the odd video you might find on YouTube there isn't much interest. Makes me wonder why I am capping other series at all. And then there are a lot of other material that isn't anime. The same thing is going on there. Whole libraries of things went missing and were presumed wiped. But things turn up once in awhile just to confound things. But who is this stuff really for? And distribution is mainly by torrents, which I haven't dealt with in a decade, which is why I leave distribution in the hands of others. But some days I just wish I could release everything I have and be done with it (though I haven't capped everything I want to at this point). But I'll carry on awhile yet...
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

There's actually lots of easy USB hook ups you can get to digitize VHS--you basically just connect your VCR to a computer, use the software, viola! https://amzn.to/2NhIFQY

I used to have one an early version of this a long time ago to make my own screencaps, but after I updated my computer it wouldn't work and I just never got around to getting a new one. (And DVDs finally started being a thing, which were WAY easier to screencap from, lol.)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
_D_

Post by _D_ »

I have 2 Hauppage units. I have used them in the past but disconnected them as they overheated the i5 laptop I was using for captures. I have since given one unit to a friend to cap old laser discs with no DVD release. He says it works good since you can cap via the component inputs. My other unit I used to cap from high definition sources but I disconnected it when I sold my satellite TV equipment a year ago. I COULD hook that one back up to my i5 desktop but there doesn't seem to be a need any more. Otherwise, I use 2 Pioneer DVD recorders, the DVR-650H-K and the DVR-640H-K. Both were top of the line units for the years they were released.
_D_

Post by _D_ »

usamimi wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 am There's actually lots of easy USB hook ups you can get to digitize VHS--you basically just connect your VCR to a computer, use the software, viola! https://amzn.to/2NhIFQY

I used to have one an early version of this a long time ago to make my own screencaps, but after I updated my computer it wouldn't work and I just never got around to getting a new one. (And DVDs finally started being a thing, which were WAY easier to screencap from, lol.)
It's not that easy with old tapes. Many problems like bad sync, flaked tapes, bad tracking, etc. creep in. A VHS or Beta player with a time base corrector would be best for playback but restored ones are expensive. Outboard time base correctors are also good but also pricey. Then again, videotape was never intended to be an archival medium. It just ended up that way for many of us...
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 am There's actually lots of easy USB hook ups you can get to digitize VHS--you basically just connect your VCR to a computer, use the software, viola! https://amzn.to/2NhIFQY

I ultimately need something like this paired with some open source software so I can encode on my Linux boxes rather than having to use my Mac from work. I don't have anything I think is really rare, mostly old fansub tapes, LDs and some few things I am partial to that I'd like to preserve digitally.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
_D_

Post by _D_ »

Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

No, I hadn't and that looks like it would fit the bill! Thanks, _D_!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.