Get Mighty Orbots on DVD Today!

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Get Mighty Orbots on DVD Today!

Post by DKop »

So unknown to me until a few minutes ago, the entire Mighty Orbots series has been released on DVD from Warner as of last week. You can pick it up on Amazon.com for 25 bucks right now. I think a must have for any Osamu Dezaki collector out there, I can't wait to check this series out.

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Orbots-Co ... hty+orbots
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Get Mighty Orbots on DVD Today!

Post by llj »

Thanks for the heads up. Are these those MOD discs Warner does? If so, they are DVD-R. Only one I've bought so far is Toei's Magic Boy.
DKop

Post by DKop »

According to the description it seems that way yes.

"When sold by Amazon.com, this product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply."

As long as it works in my player im good with that. What I really want is if the menu will have a full track of the Mighty Orbots intro song, so I can find a way to rip that and put that on my MP3 player. Intro got so much heart when I listen to it every time.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

llj wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:25 am Thanks for the heads up. Are these those MOD discs Warner does? If so, they are DVD-R. Only one I've bought so far is Toei's Magic Boy.
Yes, Warner Archives discs are (generally) Manufacture On Demand. There have been some reported instances of titles that were stamped due to anticipated demand (as it is much faster to press 2000 DVDs than it is to 'burn' them) but I have my doubts if Mighty Orbots is one of those.

I can vouch that Warner Archive DVDs have excellent QC. Most if not all of the titles released by the WA brand have had some cleanup and restoration to make them acceptable for future digital use (streaming and whatever) so don't fear them looking like old VHS home burned onto a disc.

The downside is, they're bare bones to the max. Movies done under WA have the option of 'play movie' and that's it. I THINK when it comes to TV series you can pick episodes but don't expect chapter stops. I should really check my Girl From U.N.C.L.E. DVDs..no, wait, I recall. I have both that and 'Search' and I was able to choose episodes at will, so yeah.

So, sorry, I wouldn't expect a menu screen with a loop of 'Go! Mighty Orbots!' or whatever the title song was actually called. :)

It's very impressive this has been released. Now if they would just unlock Prince Planet from the vault...
DKop

Post by DKop »

I'm 3 episodes into the show and its grabbed my attention. It's a light hearted fun show to enjoy, it's not really too stupid nor incredibly smart. There's one instance in the first episode they have to freeze a monster inside the rings of Saturn, and there all on Earth as they catapult this thing into space. In three seconds of traveling through space they arrive at Saturn rings. That's when I said "Yep, this shows for me, nor does it give two damns about how science works!"

The menu is very bare bones. It pulls up with the names of the episodes you can click and play. I feel that the best animation is in the first episode, while the past 2 have been kinda done a little cheaply. Same with the quality of the first episode seems to be better than the other two in terms of restoration. However, the animation is way too damn good for its time, even in the scenes where it's lower quality.

I enjoy the narrator for the series in between scenes. One in particular is Feisty Uno being treated like a slave to Rob when he ask her to go get some supplies, and the narrator chimes in "MEANWHILE WHILE UNO GOES SHOPPING FOR ROB, THE ORBOTS ARE KICKING ASS ACROSS THE GALAXY!" to just tack on the tone of her being a worthless character for that scene :lol: . For me its all in good fun in the end.

I'm not sure if Shadow gets defeated in the last episode or not, but i'll find out soon enough.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

That's Ohno, as in "Oh no, I forgot the mustard!" :)

Have you seen the 'Ohno wants to be a real girl' episode yet? It's actually a decent episode (they all are) but I think the Japanese animators had them some fun with it.

I can't remember if they actually defeat Shadow, but I do recall some impressive animation in that last episode. I think it ended up one of those "wait, they died?! But..." kind of deals.

Yeah, the narration is really what sells the show.

I can't recall, did anyone ever here of this running in Japan? Did Japanese fans trade hard for copies of episodes back in the day?
DKop

Post by DKop »

SteveH wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:44 am That's Ohno, as in "Oh no, I forgot the mustard!" :)

Have you seen the 'Ohno wants to be a real girl' episode yet? It's actually a decent episode (they all are) but I think the Japanese animators had them some fun with it.
Yea that was the second episode on her becoming a human girl to impress Rob. Yea she didn't think that part through because Mighty Orbot can't form up because humans lack the ability to have a metal rod shoot from their chest to turn a metal circle thingy make make stuff work. All in all, she learned her lesson, robots are better than humans when it comes to forming larger robots.

It kinda reminds me of that episode of Sailor Moon SuperS? where Mini moon wants to be a teenage girl and there's that freaky Friday thing where her and Usagi change ages. That's one episode that's stuck with me for years when I first saw it, probably because Mini moon was pretty good looking as a "grown up."
DKop

Post by DKop »

Mike Toole did a good piece on Orbots on ANN. And threw in a bit on Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers, which is another great show from the few episodes I own on DVD

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mi ... 29/.130992
DKop

Post by DKop »

Just finished this series last night. This was way too good be on TV at the time with the animation quality it had. There are areas where it was done on the cheap, but then will randomly add in some great animation during the actions scenes. It seems to let it self be open for another season on how the last episode ended, and its a bummer because I would have loved to see where this show could have gone.