Vanishing Sites/Landmarks/Shops

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Vanishing Sites/Landmarks/Shops

Post by Heibi »

Since going to Japan I've noticed many landmarks, sites and shops that have vanished(or simply moved). I have some pictures of some of these places. Thought I'd share them. I'll post more later. I may even start a sight seeing thread with the tons of pictures I've taken over the years.
Attachments
The Manga no Mori store that used to be on this corner is gone. The bulding was redone too. It was located in Shinjuku - a short walk from the Southern Exit.  Assuming I have the exit right. You can TokyuHands when you come out of it.
The Manga no Mori store that used to be on this corner is gone. The bulding was redone too. It was located in Shinjuku - a short walk from the Southern Exit. Assuming I have the exit right. You can TokyuHands when you come out of it.
MVC-014F.JPG (100.53 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
The sake bottle restaurant. This was always a land mark for me when I walked down from Ochanomizu Station to Akihabara.  It was replaced by a Mexican/Spanish restaurant.
The sake bottle restaurant. This was always a land mark for me when I walked down from Ochanomizu Station to Akihabara. It was replaced by a Mexican/Spanish restaurant.
akihabarapath3jpg.jpg (63.36 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
The "bobble-head" on the side of the building. You'd see this from Ochanomizu Station.  Not only is the figure gone on the building, but so is the whole building.
The "bobble-head" on the side of the building. You'd see this from Ochanomizu Station. Not only is the figure gone on the building, but so is the whole building.
akihabarapath4a.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
Heibi

Re: Vanishing Sites/Landmarks/Shops

Post by Heibi »

Here's a couple more. I'll start a sight seeing thread as well now. Feel free to add any pictures of past places that have vanished.
Attachments
This is the view from the bridge at the Ochanomizu Station. You can see the bobble head in the distance.
This is the view from the bridge at the Ochanomizu Station. You can see the bobble head in the distance.
akihabara.jpg (95.88 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
This is the building escalator entrance that housed K-Books, Kotobukiya, Volks, Yellow Submarine and many other anime shops.
This is the building escalator entrance that housed K-Books, Kotobukiya, Volks, Yellow Submarine and many other anime shops.
kbooks1a.jpg (86.96 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Heibi

Re: Vanishing Sites/Landmarks/Shops

Post by Heibi »

More vanishing sites.
Attachments
The old entrance to Akihabara Station's shopping area.
The old entrance to Akihabara Station's shopping area.
akihabaradept.JPG (69.92 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
This shop in the Akihabara Station store area on the 4th(?) floor vanished and reappeared on another street. It was still at the new location on my last trip.
This shop in the Akihabara Station store area on the 4th(?) floor vanished and reappeared on another street. It was still at the new location on my last trip.
gundamshop.JPG (77.09 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Gone, building and all. The Akihabara Cultural Zone building where K-Books is took it place.  For a while it was just a parking lot.
Gone, building and all. The Akihabara Cultural Zone building where K-Books is took it place. For a while it was just a parking lot.
dynamic2.jpg (53.69 KiB) Viewed 1714 times