Anime on DVD/BD wishlists

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Anime on DVD/BD wishlists

Post by DKop »

danth wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:08 am I found a discussion here that lists anime on VHS that never made it to DVD/BD. It's a bit out of date though.

My picks from that discussion (that haven't been mentioned or actually released yet):

Capricorn
Compiler/Compiler 2
Girl From Phantasia
Iczelion
Super-Deformed Double Feature
Crystal Triangle
Dog Soldier
Ultimate Teacher
Wanna-Be's
Dragon Century
Grey: Digital Target

And of those Ultimate Teacher would be my top pick because it's legitimately good IMO. Dog Soldier is one I'd buy in a heartbeat despite it's terribleness.
That list is missing Sanctuary :D

Ultimate Teacher is a fun one to enjoy, Dog Solider is too but its dumb fun. I have Compliler 2 on VHS but I haven't found the first one on the wild yet. Super Deformed Double Feature best bet would be from AnimEigo, unless Discotek wants to get it, and I doubt Robert Woodhead would fight them on that.
llj wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:02 pm Sol Bianca was a big deal at the time it was released in the US. Wasn't it voted fan favorite somewhere?
Yea I think on the VHS tape or in an old Animerica add it was voted best anime at like Anime Expo IIRC? I know about that too.
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

DKop wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:12 pm That list is missing Sanctuary :D
If the anime looks half as good as Ryoichi Ikegami's incredible manga art, I am totally on board!
DKop

Post by DKop »

I'm checking that link you posted Danth, and I see that they got Techno Police listed on there. I think there is a really good chance of that coming out from Discotek since the Bluray is technically "available" if you get the Blade robot collectors edition figure that contains the Bluray, which I believe has that english dub on it im assuming.

Oh man, they listed Ogre Slayer on that list too. I do own both on VHS, I think if i'd ever watch it again it's gotta be for drunk anime night parties or something one day in the future. That was a really stupid OVA. :lol:
danth

Post by danth »

I feel like I must have seen Ogre Slayer on VHS at Blockbuster back in the day, but past it up due to the boring cover.

I think I might want to add Luna Varga to my wishlist for DVD/BD. I think I had it filed away in my brain next to Gude Crest and Capricorn, probably conflating them. Capricorn == Outlanders + Dragons, Gude Crest = Dirty Pair + Swords, Luna Varga = I dunno what but it's got the same character designer as Project A-ko and looks really pretty.

Also Dangaioh. It never got a proper, non-butchered DVD.
DKop

Post by DKop »

danth wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:00 am I feel like I must have seen Ogre Slayer on VHS at Blockbuster back in the day, but past it up due to the boring cover.
The show's not much different :lol:

Also Dangaioh. It never got a proper, non-butchered DVD.
I hope whoever (ie we all know its Discotek) releases that on DVD/Bluray adds in that old Dangaioh sub with the infamous "SIDE KICK WAVE" attack. Toshifumi Yoshida/Trish Ledoux early translation/subbing roles must be preserved, and they harp on their mistakes at their panel every year on that at Animazement.
danth

Post by danth »

Now for more never released wishes. This list only gets ever longer as I remember/discover more shows I want to see.
  • Dream Dimension Hunter Fandora
  • Cosmos Pink Shock
  • Dream Hunter Rem
The above are all sci fi with super 80s character designs so they've always been on my radar. Since they all have female leads I think I've filed them in the same mental folder.

I've seen Cosmos Pink Shock fansubbed and really liked it. The others I may have seen bits of.

I just did google image searches for all three to refresh my memory. Yikes. Dream Hunter Rem has some very...questionable content. Based on some quick research on wikipedia, that one may be ruined for me.
  • Dragon Heaven
Mecha + Jean Giraud style animation + good story.
  • Dragon Quest: Legend of the Hero Abel
The first 13 episodes were shown as "Dragon Warrior" in the States. Akira Toriyama character designs + fantasy RPG setting. I LOVED the Dragon Warrior games as a kid so I was all over this but it was hard to catch it on TV. The US version had an AMAZING theme song too.
  • Hoshi Neko Fullhouse
I know nothing about this but how cool it looks from google image search.
  • Stop!! Hibari-kun!
Super fun. Seen a few episodes, would love to see more.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Maybe because I've seen so much that I'm jaded, but I don't recall anything too out of the ordinary in Dream Hunter Rem, and I watched the whole thing a few years ago, including the uncut episode. I honestly don't recall much from the hentai scenes in question.

Another one that should be mentioned is Armored Hunter Mellowlink. There are some really nice looking rips of the show posted on youtube, so the old myth that there are no good sources to use has definitely been debunked by now.
danth

Post by danth »

DKop wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:08 am I hope whoever (ie we all know its Discotek) releases that on DVD/Bluray adds in that old Dangaioh sub with the infamous "SIDE KICK WAVE" attack. Toshifumi Yoshida/Trish Ledoux early translation/subbing roles must be preserved, and they harp on their mistakes at their panel every year on that at Animazement.
Ohhh, forgot about all that. Yeah I guess we kind of need that preserved for historical reasons. :D
danth

Post by danth »

llj wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:53 am Maybe because I've seen so much that I'm jaded, but I don't recall anything too out of the ordinary in Dream Hunter Rem, and I watched the whole thing a few years ago, including the uncut episode. I honestly don't recall much from the hentai scenes in question.

Another one that should be mentioned is Armored Hunter Mellowlink. There are some really nice looking rips of the show posted on youtube, so the old myth that there are no good sources to use has definitely been debunked by now.
Well that's good to hear about Dream Hunter Rem. I can deal with nudity/sex but if it's loli stuff I don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole!

I got through all of Mellowlink fansubbed. It was good watch.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Not too long ago on twitter I made up a few of those "anime bingo" sheet memes just of stuff I wish was re-released/licensed. I always seem to have a huge list of stuff I'd love to buy/buy again lol. :lol: Here's a few that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Re-releases:
Evangelion, Urusei Yatsura, the Black Jack ovas, Neo-Tokyo, New Cutie Honey, a non-mangled release of Windaria, the original Heroic Legend of Arsland ovas, El-Hazard The Magnificent World, Saint Tail, Fancy Lala, Ai City (VHS only release back in the day), Creamy Mami, Dear Brother/Oniisama e, GaoGaiGar, Cyber City Oedo, any old Macross releases.

First time releases:
Akazukin Chacha, Hime-chan no Ribbon, Aim for the Ace, Candy Candy, The Time Stranger, Touch, Himitsu no Akko-chan, Haikara-san, Tokimeki Tonight,
Angel's Egg, Gegege no Kitaro.

I pretty much echo most of the stuff mentioned already, too. Just give us all the anime! :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*