Fred Patten RIP

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Fred Patten RIP

Post by DKop »

Finally got around to getting off my duff and putting up the articles Fred wrote for Newtype USA. It's not every issue, but its about 19 issues that I got that he wrote something for. Good stuff regarding what happened in Anime history both on the Japanese and English side of things, and his segments where he'd talk about some cool stuff. So have at it guys!

https://animeofyesteryear.blogspot.com/ ... rious.html
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I missed this news. One of the most essential figures for helping grow anime and manga fandom in the West.
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

While I am not aware of Mr. Patten until this thread, reading about his works has given me a sense of respect toward him. This was a man who lived, worked, and driven by his passion. That was not something many could make a claim for.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

Today would have been his birthday; happy birthday, Fred.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Just read this from Laurine White's newsletter. Sad day indeed but probably not unexpected after reading he had put an end to his writing for the Cartoon Database a year ago. I had met him a number of times at conventions over the years.

RIP Fred...