Alita Movie

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
Moonsaber
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Alita Movie

Post by Moonsaber »

Not sure how "Old School" you think Gunnm is, but anyway.

Has anyone seen the movie yet and want to talk about it?

Full disclosure, I LOVE the manga, have it all.
I really loved the movie, so many things so carefully plucked from the manga and transformed before me. Sure, it is not the same plot, some things were changed, but the heart is there, and some really neat details were retained. Well worth seeing.

Flame away.
Is there such a thing as Too Much Anime?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Alita Movie

Post by DKop »

Saw the film last night and really enjoyed it. They seemed to take certain story arcs and do their own thing in this film, but it stayed pretty true to the first two books/OVA's as the main setting. I didn't come in with a checklist of "what to expect" but I was certain they'd stick to the story of those two books. Rodriguiez was able to take some creative liberties in adapting the story to make it his style, which I did like the designs of the cyborgs/bounty hunters.

I'm not really an expert of Battle Angel and its been about 10 years since I read the first manga and seen the anime. Even with the visual changes made here and there I did like that they stuck to the original story pretty faithfully. I know some people out there think that an anime adaptation should be something totally different than finding that they are expecting everything to be adapted where they predict whats going to happen in the story, which I'm not those people. I guess it helped that I enjoyed it because my memory of Alita is fuzzy on some details which made the story of the movie interesting on what they were able to adapt from the manga into its own thing, which I'll say worked really well. I'm looking forward to owning this movie when it gets released.
Moonsaber
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by Moonsaber »

Glad to hear you enjoyed it too DKop!

Just watched it a second time today, this time in 3D. It wasn't the big high definition 3D, and I can say honestly I preferred it in flatscreen. That said, still awesome a second time, this time I didn't spend a lot of time geeking out like I did the first time, but it still made me very happy.

There is some variance from the Manga, but even with a 2 hour runtime you can't fit it all. I was VERY impressed with how they managed to make Alita so expressive!
Is there such a thing as Too Much Anime?
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

Among people I follow I've seen a ton of good feedback so I'm convinced it's worth checking out. I used to be huge into the manga until Last Order went full blown tournament arc.

I don't know yet if I'll see it during the theatrical run or if I'll wait for it to come out later. I was leaning towards the latter but I guess the visual spectacle could be worth the IMAX ticket.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I already gushed about it on my latest podcast ep, but I REALLY enjoyed the movie. You can tell that everyone involved with it REALLY loved the source material and wanted to make the best possible adaptation they could. It was awesome that even though they changed bits around, they pretty much kept the heart of the story in at all times. I had a few random nitpicks, but on the whole it's definitely the best live-action anime adaptation we've had since Speed Racer. I'm so glad that someone got it right for once!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*