Harmony Gold Relicenses Macross

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
cosmosamurai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Harmony Gold Relicenses Macross

Post by cosmosamurai »

Bad news for those hoping to ever see Macross properties released here: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... es/.148700

I find stuff like this oddly fascinating. Harmony Gold's shady real estate holdings finance their ongoing IP troll activities with Macross, they now get it for decades to come (may as well be perpetuity in Internet time), then hold a panel to gloat about said coup to a reaction of stunned silence. Bizarre neo-Robotech pipe dream projects that lead nowhere as that property recedes into the past...the whole Tatsunoko vs. Big West feud enabling HG.

There's something so anachronistic about Harmony Gold. I picture Agrama sitting on a throne high up in his HG headquarters fortress, wearing a Desslok-style uniform and sipping from a goblet of otaku tears, then laughing in victory....
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Re: Harmony Gold Relicenses Macross

Post by danth »

We are truly in the darkest timeline.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I wonder if the Earthquake that happened that same weekend is related to the news, kinda like even God is against this renewal. :o

Justin Sevakis pointed this out on Twitter that its not so much HG but Big West issue on not getting this show licensed. I'm not sure how much truth is in that but maybe that could explain why there was that weird window in the 90's/2000's where other companies got a hold of Macross to put it out like Manga/AnimEigo/ADV.

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/ ... 5787919362

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/ ... 7034973184
Phase
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Phase »

Apparently they have it until the year...2054?

Wow.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

They're going to have the license as far into the future as the farthest future Macross shows
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

The worst part is that STARZ could probably release new, nice blurays of Macross II and Macross Plus because they still seem to own the rights? (Or at least streaming rights, since it keeps popping up on places like Tubi for free streaming under Manga Entertainment), but since they're not as well known as say, Ghost in the Shell, they probably won't because that'd be too much effort for too little a return in their eyes, whereas GITS has name recognition now even with non-anime fans thanks to that awful movie and the manga still being in print. Sigh....it's such a shame. The Macross franchise deserves better than this. :(
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

The thing is id rather get a really good Bluray release on Macross Plus than a crapped-out-in-an-afternoon release from Starz. I got 2nd GIG on Bluray and the menu is sort of barebones with really no extras, and they pushed that off as a Manga release on the sleeve. You give Macross Plus to say Discotek or RightStuf they will spend the time to make sure its the best quality available for extra features and commentary tracks on top of it looking gorgeous in HD.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

It'd be nice, but again probably not something that'd ever happen...I wouldn't even care about extras so much, since even my old manga dvds don't have much on em. But a crisp bluray sure would be nice. Sad my best bet is probably just to import it, along with DYRL.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*