Animenominous?

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Animenominous?

Post by Fireminer »

https://archive.org/details/Animenomius04Summer1991

Does anyone here have any recollection about this anime magazine from the 1990s? From what I heard, it was only published for a short period.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Animenominous?

Post by davemerrill »

Jeff Thompson (RIP)'s magazine! I have a few issues, but did not buy it regularly.
animenom1.jpg
animenom1.jpg (194.7 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
animenom2.jpg
animenom2.jpg (243.27 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
this is a subscription form to Let's Anime that mentions "Animenominous," so it shows that we were aware of the magazine at the time.
letsanimesubform.jpg
letsanimesubform.jpg (133.41 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

If your not in some kind of marketing firm Dave, why in the hell are you not by now? You should've sold thousands of Let's Animes off that promo, thats darn good stuff!
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

Writing the promos is ALWAYS the most fun part of any project.
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

davemerrill wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:11 am Jeff Thompson (RIP)'s magazine! I have a few issues, but did not buy it regularly.

animenom1.jpg

animenom2.jpg

this is a subscription form to Let's Anime that mentions "Animenominous," so it shows that we were aware of the magazine at the time.

letsanimesubform.jpg
Excuse me, but is the Jeff Thompson you mentioned was the same person who worked at Right Stuff and passed away in 2006?
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

Yes, that's the same Jeff.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I got these a long time ago when a friend of a friend was getting rid of a lot of the magazines in their collection. I had always thought they were some sort of high production fanzine, since they never felt as polished as the contemporary Animag. I've never looked more deeply to see if there were any issues other than the first that I am missing or the how long it ran. It looks like it was a quarterly magazine. The coverage is pretty straight forward - mostly devoted to one or two "contemporary" shows (like Ranma 1/2's first series/season in the Autumn 1990 issue), one or two older series (Yamato, Galaxy Express, etc) and the one-off fandom topic, like Roman Albums.

Happy to talk about more of what's in the issues I have; like I said, I didn't find them as polished as Animag, so I have only thumbed through them on occasion.

Dave - question for you, as you are probably most apt to know here: There is an ad for Mangajin has an Atlanta PO Box and they advertise "authentic Japanese manga, in original Japanese, with readings in English, translation, laguage notes, etc". Did some googling and saw that they were mostly geared towards people learning Japanese but it makes me wonder if there were any local anime fans involved, especially when it came to translating the manga? Anything you know of?
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:16 pm

Dave - question for you, as you are probably most apt to know here: There is an ad for Mangajin has an Atlanta PO Box and they advertise "authentic Japanese manga, in original Japanese, with readings in English, translation, laguage notes, etc". Did some googling and saw that they were mostly geared towards people learning Japanese but it makes me wonder if there were any local anime fans involved, especially when it came to translating the manga? Anything you know of?
Mangajin was indeed published in Atlanta by a guy named Vaughan Simmons who was working out of an office near Ga Tech, I wanna say 10th or 14th street. I don't believe any local fans were involved in translating the manga- Vaughan did a lot of that himself, I know he loved that strip about the guy living cheaply in Tokyo. None of the fans I knew in Atlanta at the time had the language skills to translate manga, not for lack of trying, though. I did write an article about the Black Jack OVA series for one of the later issues of Mangajin, and Simmons was a guest at the first AWA. Super nice guy, very knowledgeable, knew the manga world inside and out, not just the SF-action stuff we liked, but **everything.**
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Come to think of it I do have an issue of Mangajin in my collection that came from a guy who sold tons of nerd whatever out of a storage unit not far from my house. He sadly passed away a few years ago and I didn't know till a year later, and sometime after his unit got cleaned out since another guy was selling his comic issues at some rinky dink "comic con" done by a high school band in the next county over. I'm not even sure if they're still doing it.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Cool info - thanks, Dave. I'll have to look up Vaughn and see if he is still in the area, even if it looks like Mangajin is done.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.