Tokyo Babylon gets a new anime adaptation! (Now canceled)

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Tokyo Babylon gets a new anime adaptation! (Now canceled)

Post by Fireminer »

CLAMP's Tokyo Babylon will get a new anime adaptation in 2021 titled Tokyo Babylon 2021

Who are excited for this? I personally am. I hope that if this adaptation is a success, we will eventually have another shot at a X adaptation, which will force CLAMP to finish that series.

What I am weary of though is how will the studio adapt the problems Subaru encounters throughout the story in a 2021 setting? As I see it, all of these problems back in the 1990s still exist in this modern day, so it wouldn't be a big problem to translate them. But I wonder if the studio will add any new issue more pressing with us in modern days?
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Tokyo Babylon gets a new anime adaptation!

Post by usamimi »

I'm less than thrilled about this considering it's being handled by Studio GoHands and not Madhouse for whatever reason....GoHands, famous for the infamously TERRIBLE "Hand Shakers" anime a few years back. Already, the character designs look WAY too modern for my taste, so I'm not holding my breath that it's going to be a high quality production. BUT, I'm hoping that at least with this anime coming out, Kodansha will get around to reprinting the original manga in English again, since it's been out of print for a little bit now, to go with the anime tie-in. That'd be nice.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

If nothing else, this gives a reason to dig up the manga from whatever box I have it in and read it again..
=)
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Definitely! I might see about doing an episode on the manga next year, if I can squeeze it in there...I've done a general CLAMP podcast episode, but not really series-specific ones as of yet.
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Elytron Frass »

I too wish Madhouse was doing this, but I'm still eager to give it a shot since the stories have a chance to shine. Netflix anime is hit or miss. A few gems manage to get made and released through the platform however. Hope that this becomes one of those.
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

Tokyo Babylon 2021 Anime Canceled With Restart Planned, After More Plagiarism Uncovered

I wonder if the production committee have just arrived at this decision, or did they made it months ago and only now announced it? Because the scandal became a things last December, and then came multiple delays, which tells me that the studio has been trying to salvage whatever possible but just couldn't.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Fireminer wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:51 am Tokyo Babylon 2021 Anime Canceled With Restart Planned, After More Plagiarism Uncovered

I wonder if the production committee have just arrived at this decision, or did they made it months ago and only now announced it? Because the scandal became a things last December, and then came multiple delays, which tells me that the studio has been trying to salvage whatever possible but just couldn't.
To me, it sounds like the initial discovery of them copying other people's outfits lead them to look more closely and discover more problems...and yeah, I assume they tried to see if the work done already could be salvaged, but just couldn't. And they said they "lost faith" in the studio, too, which to me alludes to something like them not being truthful more than once.

Honestly, this is probably a blessing in disguise, because that Gohands trailer was...not that great. So if the production committee can find an even better studio to work with, it'd be a huge improvement!
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

usamimi wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:00 am To me, it sounds like the initial discovery of them copying other people's outfits lead them to look more closely and discover more problems...and yeah, I assume they tried to see if the work done already could be salvaged, but just couldn't. And they said they "lost faith" in the studio, too, which to me alludes to something like them not being truthful more than once.

Honestly, this is probably a blessing in disguise, because that Gohands trailer was...not that great. So if the production committee can find an even better studio to work with, it'd be a huge improvement!
At this point changing studio might be a good idea. And while they are at it, I hope they reverse back to the old artstyle. I always feel like Clamp is defined by their 90s artstyle, and from 2000s and onward they just refine it (I think you touch on this in one episode of your podcast.) And, considering that Tokyo Babylon is followed by X, having a 1990s Tokyo setting seems like a better idea if they want to have a sequel hook.