virtual AWA

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

virtual AWA

Post by davemerrill »

In the tradition of every other fan convention this year, Anime Weekend Atlanta isn't having a real-world show but is doing a "virtual" AWA. It's going to happen December 18-20 and it's going to be free for everybody to watch. More information will be available here: https://awa-con.com

I'm doing three presentations for the event - a thirty-minute Anime Hell, a panel about Atlanta fandom conventions from 1975 until 1995, and a re-vamped version of the "Anime 1980" panel I did for the Anime North Online event in July. I've got one of them done and the other two I need to bat out in pretty short order so that's what I'll be up to for the next couple of weeks...
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: virtual AWA

Post by DKop »

I'll be doing my panel titled "That B.A.D. Panel (Bad Anime Dubbing)" which should be self informed what the panel is about. Dave, I possibly, could've, maybe, sorta, totally got my idea from the old CPF BAD vids you guys did in the 90's as inspiration.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

doing three of those kind of destroyed us - handle those bad dubs with care!
DKop

Post by DKop »

davemerrill wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:35 am doing three of those kind of destroyed us - handle those bad dubs with care!
I've got my own set of material, and I respect the work you guys did. If I have to use your vids as a source for clips I will, but i'll usually try and hunt down the footage in better quality from other sources. I used once bit in the intro I did for it, I think you and many other people are gonna like it.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

Looking back on that 1990s era video quality of B.A.D. is pretty painful. This was all in the pre-digital time, so we were running signals from a VHS and occasionally a Beta deck, into Matt's character generator/special effects box/mixer, which also had the mic and a camera plugged into it. So the end result was sometimes not so great, especially considering the source material was frequently awful-looking.
DKop

Post by DKop »

Granted... it holds a bit entertainment value for me to watch from time to time. I enjoy the commentary regarding how HG Harlock series had to narrate the shows plot over scenes of ships shooting things, or Matt version of "Superspace Fortress Macross" theme and his desire to have sex with that song, and probably a few other scenes that escape me. You guys were having fun, and that bleeds through the screen when someone like me is watching it.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I was already planning on having to miss AWA for family commitments but the virtual option means I necessarily won't have to. Silver lining. It's not the same as being in person but it'll do. Looking forward to blocking out time to see everyone's events that I can.
DKop wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:01 pm Granted... it holds a bit entertainment value for me to watch from time to time. I enjoy the commentary regarding how HG Harlock series had to narrate the shows plot over scenes of ships shooting things, or Matt version of "Superspace Fortress Macross" theme and his desire to have sex with that song, and probably a few other scenes that escape me. You guys were having fun, and that bleeds through the screen when someone like me is watching it.
I also still watch BAD every now and again; still pretty entertaining. Have a few friends that we'll still just crack up using lines from that.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

the link and schedule for the Online AWA is up! The full information link and my panels are listed below. My times on the schedule aren't great, but it's streaming, so you can scroll backwards and watch them any time after they run. Which is good, because I still have to work Friday. Enjoy!

awa online slide.jpg
awa online slide.jpg (357.62 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
history ofslide FINAL -b.jpg
history ofslide FINAL -b.jpg (338.97 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
anime 1980 OLGA slide.jpg
anime 1980 OLGA slide.jpg (168.03 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
virtualhellll-b.jpg
virtualhellll-b.jpg (347.87 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
DKop

Post by DKop »

My The B.A.D Panel (Bad Anime Dubbing) will be at 4:15 on Saturday afternoon. There was a lot more I could've added to that but with time constraints I did with what I had. This is prerecorded, so my plan is to hop on the Twitch chat and talk to people while they watch it.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

I'm jealous of your time slot, most people are going to be waking up, at work, or just getting home when my panels happen.