Pre-1980s shojo manga in english?

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Pre-1980s shojo manga in english?

Post by llj »

My question is basically the title. I'm looking for any sites online that may list ALL pre-1980s shojo manga that have been translated and released in North America.

I know the usual suspects like Moto Hagio's stuff through Fantagraphics, but I'm wondering if there's some more obscure ones that I've missed.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Pre-1980s shojo manga in english?

Post by davemerrill »

I don't know of any sites that list such a thing, but it's gotta be a pretty short list? Moto Hagio's titles, Takemiya's Towards The Terra, her Andromeda Stories is from 1980, Ikeda's Rose Of Versailles... ? Any others?
llj

Post by llj »

I assume it's a short list too. Part of me was hoping there are some more obscure ones I'm missing, which is why I ask, but I'm sure the reality is I already know most of them by now.
llj

Post by llj »

CMX's Swan and From Eroica with Love are two that people sometimes forget as well, although they were unfinished.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Yeah other than the ones already listed, the only other ones I can think of is They Were 11 (which was only released in floppies from Viz, and was only kind of "complete", since there was technically more) and ComicsOne's Bride of Deimos release? Which much like Swan and Eroica, was not released fully. Other than that, I think most shoujo manga released in English was 80s and older...
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj

Post by llj »

It's a shame that shoujo history has been largely neglected by US indie publishers, outside of Moto Hagio. I've also seen a bunch of 60s shoujo manga here and there that looked real interesting (and short enough to not commit too much to) that probably could be packaged from a historical point of view and still draw some curious western eyes.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Yup. The funny thing is that shoujo has historically been a huge influence on other things--many popular shonen titles were very much influenced by the genre (Kimagure Orange Road, many early Gainax titles, etc), yet licensors ignore them in favor of other things. Like...I do love Moto Hagio, but since she's mostly being published by Fantagraphics, the books go out of print pretty fast and they're on the pricey end. It's a shame.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj

Post by llj »

I'm glad Moto Hagio is selling decently in the US, if that's true. Gives some hope that some others from the Year 24 group can be brought over. We're already seeing Ikeda's Rose of Versailles, which helps. But the pre-Year 24 group era of shoujo has started to interest me lately. It's such a mysterious period that nobody talks about these days and there are more female mangaka than people think from that period, that have been unfairly overlooked imo.

And, though not a female mangaka, I also would love someone to localize Macoto Takahashi's 50s shoujo stuff, especially The Rows of Cherry Trees and Tokyo-Paris. They're gorgeously drawn and I think a lot of people would be blown away by them.