J-dramas

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Re: J-dramas

Post by Path »

ryoran wrote:
Ender424 wrote:I have only watched two: Great Teacher Onizuka and Densha Otoko. I enjoyed them mainly because of their comical nature but Jdramas in general kind of have a soap opera-ish feel to them which I'm not a fan of. My mom and sisters drove me up the wall with their novelas. (Spanish soap operas.)
And both of these are two of my favorites as well, and great for first time J-drama watchers. Especially if they are anime fans.

I've seen my share of them. International Channel showed a few series I ended up watching, though I sadly forgot some of the names of them since it's been so long. There was one dealing with friends in a love triangle that was just, incredibly good imo. I wish I could remember what it was called.

I like the romance ones of course, one of my favorites is Friends, a Korean/Japanese collaboration, and fairly short too. It starred Kyoko Fukada, who I loved from Kamikaze Girls.
I used to watch the International Channel too in the 90s. Is the show you are thinking of Love Revolution?

On the IC I used to watch Shomuni subbed (my favorite!) and various stuff raw like Love Revolution, Shotgun Marriage (don't remember much about this one though), Hey Hey Hey (have tons of episodes taped) and even Kohakus.

Via the net I've seen: Densha Otoko (of course), GTO, Misaki #1, Host Club, Tokujo Kabachi, and Drama Moyashimon.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Path wrote:
ryoran wrote:
Ender424 wrote:I have only watched two: Great Teacher Onizuka and Densha Otoko. I enjoyed them mainly because of their comical nature but Jdramas in general kind of have a soap opera-ish feel to them which I'm not a fan of. My mom and sisters drove me up the wall with their novelas. (Spanish soap operas.)
And both of these are two of my favorites as well, and great for first time J-drama watchers. Especially if they are anime fans.

I've seen my share of them. International Channel showed a few series I ended up watching, though I sadly forgot some of the names of them since it's been so long. There was one dealing with friends in a love triangle that was just, incredibly good imo. I wish I could remember what it was called.

I like the romance ones of course, one of my favorites is Friends, a Korean/Japanese collaboration, and fairly short too. It starred Kyoko Fukada, who I loved from Kamikaze Girls.
I used to watch the International Channel too in the 90s. Is the show you are thinking of Love Revolution?

On the IC I used to watch Shomuni subbed (my favorite!) and various stuff raw like Love Revolution, Shotgun Marriage (don't remember much about this one though), Hey Hey Hey (have tons of episodes taped) and even Kohakus.

Via the net I've seen: Densha Otoko (of course), GTO, Misaki #1, Host Club, Tokujo Kabachi, and Drama Moyashimon.
Sadly no, that's not the one I was thinking of. :( I know it had a very popular J-pop song opening. It was about 2 girls, and one guy they ended up liking? I've been looking all over for it but I can't find it.

There were two others I don't remember the names of either. One is a drama where it's similar to You've Got Mail. One of the characters sends the other music and they keep in touch over mail. Another is one where a girl gets a mastectomy and I think ends up falling for her boss or something. I can't remember...

And I also used to record Hey Hey Hey Music Champ! :D
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

ryoran wrote:
Sadly no, that's not the one I was thinking of. :( I know it had a very popular J-pop song opening. It was about 2 girls, and one guy they ended up liking? I've been looking all over for it but I can't find it.

There were two others I don't remember the names of either. One is a drama where it's similar to You've Got Mail. One of the characters sends the other music and they keep in touch over mail. Another is one where a girl gets a mastectomy and I think ends up falling for her boss or something. I can't remember...

Unfortunately, there are many dramas about 2 girls and the one guy type of storyline.

But the "You've Got Mail" drama is "With Love"...that drama has awesome music!

The one with the mastectomy is "Dear Friends".

For those who want to watch the latest or even past Japanese (as well as Korean and Taiwan) dramas...

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents.php

And with English subtitles and have VLC, you can use this: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/subtitles.php
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Thanks for the d-addicts links. Got me into a search for Vietnamese music a friend wanted. Links were all gone from that site but they are all still available on Usenet. Also thanks for the TV series links. Did a search and found lots of Viet language or subbed stuff. My bud of many years will be happy!
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

kndy wrote:
ryoran wrote:

Unfortunately, there are many dramas about 2 girls and the one guy type of storyline.

But the "You've Got Mail" drama is "With Love"...that drama has awesome music!

The one with the mastectomy is "Dear Friends".

For those who want to watch the latest or even past Japanese (as well as Korean and Taiwan) dramas...

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents.php

And with English subtitles and have VLC, you can use this: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/subtitles.php
Yes! With Love is the drama I was thinking of! Thanks kndy! I know it had beautiful music, and I'm very excited to go watch it again.

The Dear Friends movie however, isn't the other one I'm thinking of. I'm wondering if I'm remembering the drama incorrectly. The woman in the drama was older, not a high school student. And it wasn't a movie, definitely multiple episodes. I'll have to keep looking for that one.
animusubi
twitter | instagram
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Has anyone else seen Ikebukuro West Gate Park? It's fucking AWESOME. Like, go watch it right now awesome. You'll love it.
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

I finished watching GTO 2012 a little while ago and I'm now almost finished with the 90's version. I've really enjoyed both of them. Both versions are funny, corny, and incredibly moving. I don't cry very often but some of the episodes had me in tears, and not sad tears. These are just really feel-good shows.

And for a bonus, the 90's version features Yōsuke Kubozuka as Kikuchi. Yōsuke Kubozuka played the crazy badass in Ikebukuro West Gate Park, my other favorite J-drama that I recommend highly.

Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

Just finished 11-episode drama, Engine. I wasn't sure if I would like it at first, as I don't really care for racing, but by the end of episode 1 I was hooked. Basically it's about a young man who's dream has been racing, but suddenly finds himself unable to do so anymore due to his hot-headedness and older age. He returns home only to find his dad has opened up an orphanage, and he hates kids. It's basically about his relationship that grows with the people and children in the orphanage and what racing really means to him. I definitely recommend it.
animusubi
twitter | instagram