Let's Anime looks at the anime movies of 1981

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Let's Anime looks at the anime movies of 1981

Post by davemerrill »

Time to go back forty years and bring some popcorn because it's movie time! Anime movie time, that is.

https://letsanime.blogspot.com/2021/12/ ... t-two.html
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Re: Let's Anime looks at the anime movies of 1981

Post by Fireminer »

Great article as always! Will you do another installment next year for 1982? Also, have you talked on your blog about designs from Dougram and other mecha anime of the time were "lifted" into Battletech? And I would like to ask if you remember when was the first time Doraemon came to America?
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

That's a striking image of Gliko the Chipmunk.

I'm used to the trope of the anime character with the small woodland creature sidekick, but had never stopped to wonder about the origin. I suppose if the animators had grown up watching woodland creature action-adventure anime, they'd want to sneak it in somehow when they started working. :D
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Fireminer wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:03 am Great article as always! Will you do another installment next year for 1982? Also, have you talked on your blog about designs from Dougram and other mecha anime of the time were "lifted" into Battletech? And I would like to ask if you remember when was the first time Doraemon came to America?
I've never had that much exposure to Battletech I'm aware of it, but have never played any of the games. I know a lot of anime designs made their way into the game's materials, but an extensive mecha-by-mecha look at the appropriations might take a lot of work on my part.

the first time I saw Doraemon in America, it was Doraemon's face on a cheap plastic whistle I bought at K-Mart. The manga has been released in English on Kindle, some of the video games have made it over here, and there have been several attempts to get the anime into North American markets over the past decades, but I think the first mass release of a Doraemon property here has been the "Stand By Me" movies on Netflix, which just showed up recently.

I will probably do a 1982 wrapup, yeah! Lots of amazing stuff happening in 1982.