Macross Plus OVA TONIGHT at AMC Theaters

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
George W
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Macross Plus OVA TONIGHT at AMC Theaters

Post by George W »

Another Fathom Event
Subtitled not dubbed

Macross Plus - 2 hour movie, playing at AMC Theaters on 12/14/2021

I just found out so I'm posting. I did search the forum for Macross Plus - nothing came up. Sorry if this is a duplicate.
llj

Re: Macross Plus OVA TONIGHT at AMC Theaters

Post by llj »

I won’t be going into any theatres for a while but for those that do, the movie version was pretty good. I owned the vhs back in the day. I hear this version will be even further edited than the movie version released in the 90s
George W

Post by George W »

We had great social distancing in the AMC Theater in Rockford yesterday.

There were 5 people in the entire theater. 3 were in the very top row. We were 40 feet away in the middle.

The movie was very interesting - it started with a 6 minute intro from the creator of Macross, that outlined the history of the series, from the original TV show, through Macross 84 Summer, through the rest of the series.

The movie itself was pretty good, but in my opinion, it wasn't as well-developed as Macross 84 Summer. It just didn't flow as well.

The animation style changed a bit. They noted they went to Combat USA (an air combat simulator using Marchetti aircraft for simulated dog fights) and used some of that for the air to air combat sequences.

They also did some things that didn't make sense. One of the fighters executes a fold, and then on arrival, jettisons their Fold engine. Uh, No, you wouldn't jettison your FOLD engine.

The general premise was good, and my wife (who isn't big into Anime) was able to keep up with what was going on.

Those are my two cents - what do others think.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I wish I knew about this like a week earlier, could've planned to go. My last subbed film in theaters was Char's Counterattack. I would've much preferred to see Macross Plus because its the only Macross title I enjoy and I think the masters to theater quality would've looked better than CCA.
George W

Post by George W »

Sorry, I posted it as fast as I found out.

I was making a presentation on an industry event to one of my company's interest groups. The sponsor saw my VF-1S Super Valkiyrie poster (framed from Macross Perfect Memory) on the wall, and he sent it my way.

As soon as I got it, I posted it here.

I guess watch Fathom's website. They have been doing a bunch of these.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Yeah, kinda bummed I missed this, too. Like DKop, last anime in cinema I saw was CCA back in 2019. Gonna have to keep my eye out so I can plan better and try to catch another one of these sometime.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
George W

Post by George W »

Maybe watch this site:
https://www.fathomevents.com/categories/anime

Nothing posted right now, but I know I saw a bunch on the list in 2019 before the world went to COVID hell.