UY ALLSTARS: New Urusei Yatsura anime on TV in 2022!

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

UY ALLSTARS: New Urusei Yatsura anime on TV in 2022!

Post by usamimi »

Just in time for the Year of the Tiger, looks like a new UY anime will be airing sometime in 2022 on FujiTV! https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... 22/.181153

There's already rumors about voice actors floating around, but nothing has been officially released yet. The official website has a countdown for a teaser trailer or more detailed announcement, most likely. Exciting!!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Captain_EO
Anime Fan Since: 2002

Re: UY ALLSTARS: New Urusei Yatsura anime on TV in 2022!

Post by Captain_EO »

This adaptation is looking promising! The new voice talents fill the roles of Lum and Ataru perfectly in that PV, and it's a nice gesture to see Toshio Furukawa and Fumi Hirano pass the baton on the official website.
So far, the art style, character design, etc. all seem quite accurate to Takahashi's original style - but with just the right amount of digital touches. For example, Lum's psychedelic hair colors are able to be captured in a way cel animation couldn't - and this is coming from a sucker for traditional animation.

So consider me optimistic. These new directors seem to understand the appeal of Urusei Yatsura, at least on the surface level. (Even that music in the PV sounds just right) Not to mention, the team's past Jojo's adaptations have been very well-received, so this could very well be a recipe for success. I'm curious to see how much this broadens the UY community as it airs; Will it catch on to an entirely new audience and become a modern hit like Jojo's did, or will it be primarily existing fans watching? Somewhere in-between?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

It will likely be more faithful to the manga than the original anime series was. I love the original anime, but it took liberties, that’s for sure.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

llj wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:35 am It will likely be more faithful to the manga than the original anime series was. I love the original anime, but it took liberties, that’s for sure.
The parts that took liberties were the parts that im assuming Oshii directed, which Takahashi highly detested. As much as people really enjoy Beautiful Dreamer, it's also another film that Takahashi disliked as well iirc.

I'm down for checking this out. This series has had a huge impact on anime fandom for the past 40 years, so its kinda surprising now its getting a remake or proper adaptation. There's always going to be the girls that cosplay as Lum at conventions and have been doing so for who knows how long, since anime cons became a thing I'd imagine. It seems that UY has always stuck around in anime fandom, regardless if it was very popular or not.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Yeah. And at the end of the day Takahashi is a populist and Oshii is more concerned with self expression. Both are valid forms of art, but i can see why Takahashi would dislike Oshii’s tangents.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

NEW PV JUST DROPPED! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOe1OPX7DKU

Def some brief glimpses of some iconic scenes from early on in the manga. Also, it looks like they may have changed the name from UY Allstars to just Urusei Yatsura?
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Captain_EO
Anime Fan Since: 2002

Post by Captain_EO »

All in all It looks pretty great! Good catch with that name. Given the website and online handles are still registered under "All Stars", I wonder if they'll use both in branding (I'll probably stick to All-Stars myself to differentiate from the original anime)
Either way, it's interesting seeing the characters done using modern techniques, it's very bright and colorful. That new Sakura has me wondering what a Kyoko or Madoka would look like in 2020's tech.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I like the translation of the art style to the modern look and the color palette of the show. Definitely gonna try to check this out.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.