RIP Guy Brownlee

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

RIP Guy Brownlee

Post by davemerrill »

I can't remember if we had a thread on the board to memorialize fans who'd passed on. Anyway, I found out today that Guy Brownlee passed away in hospice due to kidney failure. He'd been a big part of the Dallas era anime fan scene when I first got into anime fandom in the 80s and his artwork was all over zines and convention publications at that time. Later he got into steampunk and the gothic lolita scene; I think the last I heard from him he was trying to get artists together for a GL zine.

https://www.facebook.com/SandyKochenowe ... 2995789214

Attached is some Space Battleship Yamato fan cartoons Guy did that were published in various zines, including the C/FO Atlanta newsletter.
guy_comet.jpg
guy_comet.jpg (112.58 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
guy_analyzer.jpg
guy_analyzer.jpg (93.64 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
George W
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: RIP Guy Brownlee

Post by George W »

The clock of life ticks on.

At some point, all of us are on our last tick.

We seldom know when that will be.

Godspeed.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: RIP Guy Brownlee

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Sorry for your and to others that were close to Guy, Dave. Guy sounds like the type of fan whose contributions benefited me but we were just in two different places at the same time.

I thought there was a general thread somewhere for news and such of this nature but I just see a bunch of individual threads in the Real World Events. Did a quick search and didn't turn up much of that general thread.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.