fps Magazine

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

fps Magazine

Post by mbanu »

fps.jpg
fps.jpg (89.77 KiB) Viewed 919 times
From an old version of the website:
In the fall of 1991, I was lamenting the state of animation magazines and criticism. Everything was divided into camps: people spoke of Japanese, classic, computer, independent, or commercial animation—but rarely looked at where different fields and techniques might overlap. Where was the animation publication that spoke to those of us that wanted to look deeper?

Some of you know what happened next. In November of that year, I launched the first issue of fps, a magazine devoted to exploring those intersections and putting all forms of animation on equal footing with one other.

I spent six years with fps, three of them with with Pawn Press as publisher. In 1997 I decided to part company with Pawn and fps, and after a few more issues the magazine became dormant.
It was revived in 2003 as a web-only publication, and continued on (according to Wikipedia), until the editor-in-chief, Emru Townsend, died of cancer in 2010.

Didn't have it's own dedicated thread, so I thought I'd make one. :)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Re: fps Magazine

Post by mbanu »

mbanu wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:08 am It was revived in 2003 as a web-only publication, and continued on (according to Wikipedia), until the editor-in-chief, Emru Townsend, died of cancer in 2010.
It looks like I mixed up the dates -- Emru Townsend died in 2008, but the magazine continued for another couple years, the decision to retire it being made by his sister Tamu.

Emru described his introduction to anime in a 2005 article for the PDF-revival of the old-school print magazine.
emru-intro.jpg
emru-intro.jpg (617.82 KiB) Viewed 918 times
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?