Live Action Robotech - Not Dead?

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Captain_EO
Anime Fan Since: 2002

Live Action Robotech - Not Dead?

Post by Captain_EO »

(Source 1, Source 2, Source 3)

Feels like these anime live-action adaptations are always rotating hands, being in development hell for years (Think the AKIRA movie, or GITS and Bebop live actions before they were actually finished) But Robotech especially is a unique case, since its legal rights are so complicated. But now that that's settled - Maybe, just maybe, we'll see this thing get finished.

Wouldn't it be rich if this got heavily re-edited into a Macross movie for the Japanese market? :P Talk about the shoe being on the other foot...
Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Live Action Robotech - Not Dead?

Post by DKop »

You know, when the original pitch happened in the mid 2000's, they said "Tobey McGuire would star" in the film (strongly assuming Rick Hunter). Now that its been many years since then and this is still ongoing, Tobey might be better suited for Captain Gloval, or Max Sterling, or Minnmay uncle. He's kind too old to do Rick Hunter, but with modern CGI raising people from the literal dead to do their roles (thank you Disney Star Wars) maybe McGuire will helm the role of Hunter. :lol:
George W
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Live Action Robotech - Not Dead?

Post by George W »

Ugh. I worry about stuff like this.

Tobey McGuire as Rick Hunter? NOPE. That would be awful.

This needs some fresh face - the Tom Cruise from Risky Business of 2022.

I agree, the CGI changes to bring back the dead are creepy. Who thought Governor Tarkin looked good? He looked plastic.