Article on the fonts of Fanta's Zine

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Article on the fonts of Fanta's Zine

Post by Fireminer »

Someone wrote an article on which fonts was used in the 2nd issue of Fanta's Zine: https://fontsinuse.com/uses/45544/fanta-s-zine-no-2

Does anyone know whether the fanzine was written on an electric typewriter/word processor or something else? Also, looking at each page, it feels to me like members submitted their writings through mail before Fred Patten binded everything together.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Article on the fonts of Fanta's Zine

Post by davemerrill »

Great to see that early issue of Fanta's Zine. I believe Patten was using an IBM Selectric, a model which had several different typefaces. I do believe other members created their own submissions, APA style - in the early and mid 1980s, desktop publishing pretty much meant the text was produced using a typewriter or a basic computer printer of some kind.

The newsletters and fanzines I produced in the 1980s all involved me printing out blocks of text and pasting those blocks down along with artwork onto make-readys, which is what got taken to the Kinko's and xeroxed. I didn't have desktop publishing software of my own until the early 1990s, and even then I was just leaving blank spaces artwork would be placed into later. I did a lot of photocopying of artwork out of anime magazines and books.