Macross II, Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, & Macross Delta to get released in America!

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: Macross II, Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, & Macross Delta to get released in America!

Post by Drew_Sutton »

danth wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:24 am
llj wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:25 am Yeah, I would say the most annoying thing about the post Macross 7s are those CG mechas...I mean, I'm not against the use of CG when applied carefully, but none of those 2000s Macrosses really seemed to do it right. Now the modern Gundams, they do it right.
My attitude is: if I wanted CGI mecha, I'd play a video game.

Furthermore, I don't really like any anime at all made after the jump to computers. Perhaps sacrilege around here, I don't know. When you have computers generating in-betweens, I don't want it. When you have "animators" pulling on vectorized curves with a mouse, instead of hand drawing them, I don't want it. I want drawings, drawn by humans. I can tell the difference.
I see use of CGI as just a different medium for the staff to work in for creating animation. I prefer smooth, slick, and carefully applied CGI over slapdash cost-cutting but I think with stylistic changes and improvement in both technology and skills, it's in a spot I would say is alright. There was a very serious learning curve 20+ years ago and a lot of things from that era that looked almost revolutionary then but look like trash now. The opening dog fight from episode 1 of Macross 0 is quite the exception - that whole scene is still glorious and I am sure it's not because I am a secret MiG-29 fan.

None of that is to say that it is inherently better than skilled work with paint on celluloid either. There's a lot of bad looking "traditional animation" out there. Skilled traditional animation is still impressive and yes, arguably, more impressive than CGI. In the end, I care about the presentation of the final product and less about the tools used to get there.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.