What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by DKop »

Elytron Frass wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:29 pm

Indeed. I don't want to get this thread too off topic but Adi Shankar (producer of Netflix's Castlevania series) had this to say back in a 2018 interview:
We can do all the Berserk talk on here if you'd like: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1548&p=18228&hilit=berserk#p18228
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

Watching OddTaxi -- this was a bit of a lucky break for me, as it was made by a new director and superficially looks like a furry anime. I think someone at ANN also noticed there was something else going on, as they got an interview with the director, who apparently is primarily a director of commercials who happens to be a Satoshi Kon fan.

Because the director is not really an otaku, it kind of reminds me a bit of older shows, where there were more homages to live-action properties rather than older anime, because that was what the director themselves liked.

The main character is a 41-year-old taxi driver who seems to have some sort of disability. A friend suggested autism, but I don't think that's correct... however, exploring this issue ends up being an important sub-plot.

They also seem to tackle social media in a smart way, in that it isn't completely ignored, but it's not like every character is swallowed up in it. It also highlights some of the generation gap, in that it is primarily the younger characters for whom social media is a big plot-point.

Really interesting show -- I would recommend giving it a three-episode test to see if it is for you.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I've been wanting to watch Odd Taxi for a while now, but I've gotten really behind at watching anything "new" in my queue (thanks to me getting sick twice last month, and having to watch stuff for the podcast, etc). I'm hoping to get around to it soon, because it sounds so interesting.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Caught the first episode of Acrbunch a few weeks ago - figured I would like it since like J9 and Josephina, it's supposed to be one of Kokusai Eigasha's better productions. At least starts with an interesting premise of world peace, so I'll probably come back to this in a bit. However, like with starting Acrobunch, I most definitely have a bad habit of starting series and taking forever to finish them, entirely through faults of my own. So, I am also trying to just queue up quick movies and OAVs when I have time to watch anime. Did this with A Wind Named Amnesia a little bit ago. Seen this on the video store shelves forever ago and just kept passing it by. Pretty good and engaging at first, decently paced but there's a hard twist and it's kinda downhill from there.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Elytron Frass »

Mad Bull 34
Absolute garbage. Lots of fun.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Elytron Frass wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:16 pm Mad Bull 34
Don't you mean: "Absolute Fun. Lots of Garbage?" :lol:
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

ODD TAXI is terrific, it's one of the few shows that really sticks the landing! I'm enjoying GODZILLA SINGULAR POINT, especially the Jet Jaguar scenes, which seem to have captured the spirit of 70s super robot shows without even trying. Wasn't too impressed with the Gundam HATHAWAY movie; I think the Mafty space rebels are dopey, the Earth forces are dopey, I hope everybody loses. The animation is nice, though.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I haven't finished ODD TAXI yet, but it was such a nice surprise! More original anime like this, please!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

DKop wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:01 am
Elytron Frass wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:16 pm Mad Bull 34
Don't you mean: "Absolute Fun. Lots of Garbage?" :lol:
so true :!:
-----------------

watched the first episode the current Getter Robo show. Despite being a Getter Robo fan and bigger broader fan of Go Nogai's works, I think I'm going to binge this once the season's finished. Getter is all ADHD spectacle and usually only "just coherent enough" from a narrative perspective. That being said the first episode was merely the predictable stage-setting episode and furthermore I find the story more difficult to grasp on a weekly basis than when consumed in larger chunks. I'm looking forward it however. Probably the only thing this season I care about.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

Revolutionary Girl Utena The Movie - this is my entry point and will likely suffice as just enough from this particular IP. It was however an amazing experience of arresting jaw-dropping and fluidly animated beauty which feels very Clamp (but is actually Be-Papas). It's so rich in symbolism and theme. Yet since it spiritually shares an odd animated flourish and a melancholic mood or two with X: the Movie I might rewatch that one next.