What are you Watching?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: What are you Watching?

Post by llj »

The movie isn't really the best way to get into the Utena franchise, although it IS beautiful, probably one of the most beautiful anime films ever made. But it's really just eye candy compared to the TV series which is more meaty and dramatic. Not to mention easier to follow (well, a bit).
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Elytron Frass »

I like feeling confounded and out of my element with films, that fish out of water feeling I get when I watch Nadesico The Movie without ever having seen or being interested in the series itself for instance is a similar experience. Plus I'm more into anime for cutting edge animation. That's why most newer stuff doesn't impress, it's more utilitarian - sufficient enough to tell a story.

---

Evangelion (numbers here) Thrice Upon a Time
As pure spectacle it was wonderful. As an Evangelion film it's just as cringingly wish fulfilling and disposable as the last rebuild film. I do not arrive at Evangelion for the sort of pat ending this one offers. But it's nothing to rant about beyond this and will never replace the psychologically deep and balanced series or the blissfully surreal nightmare that is End of Evangelion.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Elytron Frass wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:45 am
As pure spectacle it was wonderful. As an Evangelion film it's just as cringingly wish fulfilling and disposable as the last rebuild film. I do not arrive at Evangelion for the sort of pat ending this one offers. But it's nothing to rant about beyond this and will never replace the psychologically deep and balanced series or the blissfully surreal nightmare that is End of Evangelion.
I'm actually good with how it tied everything up. The thing with Evangelion is that it's supposed to be a let down, but this seems to conclude everything. Maybe its Anno way of getting past angsty Anno from 25 years ago when he made this.

I mean to me the Rebuilds are their own thing, and this film just puts out there another alternative reality to the series. It's definitely not met to totally tie into End of Eva.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

DKop wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:37 am
I'm actually good with how it tied everything up. The thing with Evangelion is that it's supposed to be a let down, but this seems to conclude everything. Maybe its Anno way of getting past angsty Anno from 25 years ago when he made this.

I mean to me the Rebuilds are their own thing, and this film just puts out there another alternative reality to the series. It's definitely not met to totally tie into End of Eva.
I get that. Just not my thing. I'd be fine with an exploration of alternate realities/Eva universes, but the direction the last 2 Rebuilds take simply doesn't interest me. But I prefer the bleakness EoE. I wouldn't write it off as merely angsty however. It sincerely and thoroughly explores the ultimate inability for humans to fully unify socially and spiritually, while implying an entirely illusory and yet self fulfilling unification is possible within one's own mind and imagination.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

@DKPOP not trying to dismiss your opinions of course ;)

Berserk Redux - a four film fan edit comprising both theatrical release and series footage to tell a more well rounded and developed story. Side characters are given more room to breathe and grow. All around excellent and the best way to revisit Golden Age Arc. Now to rewatch the Black Swordsman/Conviction Arcs adaptations (which I actually defend liking).
DKop

Post by DKop »

Elytron Frass wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:53 am @DKPOP not trying to dismiss your opinions of course ;)

Berserk Redux - a four film fan edit comprising both theatrical release and series footage to tell a more well rounded and developed story. Side characters are given more room to breathe and grow. All around excellent and the best way to revisit Golden Age Arc. Now to rewatch the Black Swordsman/Conviction Arcs adaptations (which I actually defend liking).
Is DKPOP a doppleganger of mine? There can be only one!

I didn't know there was a need for a fan cut of the theatrical films. I mean I felt that it overall covered and summed up the Golden Age well, the TV series does more for the background characters unless this incorporates all that in the Redux. The films expand in areas and cuts in some from the original TV series. I enjoyed the Conviction/Millennium Falcon arc adaptation, and the animation problems were definitely showing that last handful of episodes.. Who knows when they'll adapt the next part of that arc.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Elytron Frass wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:45 am

I get that. Just not my thing. I'd be fine with an exploration of alternate realities/Eva universes, but the direction the last 2 Rebuilds take simply doesn't interest me. But I prefer the bleakness EoE. I wouldn't write it off as merely angsty however. It sincerely and thoroughly explores the ultimate inability for humans to fully unify socially and spiritually, while implying an entirely illusory and yet self fulfilling unification is possible within one's own mind and imagination.
I've only seen the first 2 Rebuilds, but they strike me as "Eva for mainstream-ish consumption." Which is fine, but it lacks of the rawness and personal voice of the original stuff. It's meant to regurgitate the franchise in a way that is more pleasing to a broader audience. More slam bang. More general "coherence".

Anno is still a solid director but he's simply a different guy now than in 1996-1997, and it shows in his work.
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

llj wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:14 am
Elytron Frass wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:45 am

I've only seen the first 2 Rebuilds, but they strike me as "Eva for mainstream-ish consumption." Which is fine, but it lacks of the rawness and personal voice of the original stuff. It's meant to regurgitate the franchise in a way that is more pleasing to a broader audience. More slam bang. More general "coherence".

Anno is still a solid director but he's simply a different guy now than in 1996-1997, and it shows in his work.
AGREED. Wasn't it Oshii who recently remarked "Anno is more or less a producer now"?
Elytron Frass

Post by Elytron Frass »

DKop wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:07 am
Elytron Frass wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:53 am @DKPOP not trying to dismiss your opinions of course ;)

I didn't know there was a need for a fan cut of the theatrical films. I mean I felt that it overall covered and summed up the Golden Age well, the TV series does more for the background characters unless this incorporates all that in the Redux. The films expand in areas and cuts in some from the original TV series. I enjoyed the Conviction/Millennium Falcon arc adaptation, and the animation problems were definitely showing that last handful of episodes.. Who knows when they'll adapt the next part of that arc.
Typo, sorry. And yes the redux version gives more characterization to the secondary members of the band of the hawk and gives Zodd a bit more to say mostly. If you don't mind the obvious switching back and forth between animation styles/studios it's really well done.
DKop

Post by DKop »

Elytron Frass wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:00 am
DKop wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:07 am

Typo, sorry. And yes the redux version gives more characterization to the secondary members of the band of the hawk and gives Zodd a bit more to say mostly. If you don't mind the obvious switching back and forth between animation styles/studios it's really well done.
Nah its all good.

Yea the more I saw of the CGI series I see that Skull Knight and Zodd are really interesting characters that I really want to see more of them fleshed out in the series. I mean at one point in the Falcon arc Zodd and Guts have an alliance to take down Griffith or something, or it might be someone else. And with the TV series it was Zodd who threw his sword to assist Guts in the battle of the last castle they had to overtake, which I felt gave much more depth to the story and connectivity than it did in the theatrical versions.