Daishikaze's Introduction

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Daishikaze
Anime Fan Since: 1983

Daishikaze's Introduction

Post by Daishikaze »

Hello, My name is Orion Wüthrich-Bradshaw. I've been an anime fan since roughly around 1983, starting with Star Blazers and Jim Terry's Force Five block. These were followed by Tranzor Z, Voltron, and Robotech and any anime tapes I could find (usually the edited down and poorly dubbed). My tape collecting days started around 1991 or so, I'd go to the US 1 Flea Market (prominently featured in the movie Mallrats, and sadly no longer exists) and pick up as many fansub tapes as I could afford (usually 2 per visit at most, I was a poor kid).

When I moved to San Diego with my father, my collection increased dramatically, my dad would buy anything if I told him there were tits in it (and there usually wasn't ;) ), so a major portion of my VHS collection was accumulated around this time. The rest came with my first job and I would make weekly trips to Suncoast for tapes (expensive, I know).

My anime preferences are wide ranging, Though I prefer stuff from the 70s, 80s, and 90s over most of the modern stuff. My favorite modern shows all seem to be throwbacks to these eras for the most part, but occasionally something more contemporary will catch my interest. Manga is more problematic, though there is a HUGE selection available in Switzerland (my current homeland), they are all in languages I either can't read, or just am not proficient enough in to really understand everything. Also storage space is a problem. Importing is an option, since thats how I get all my anime, its costs more in shipping so I don't do it often.

Well, thats Me in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to conversing with all of you :)
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Daishikaze's Introduction

Post by greg »

Hi, welcome! Your username sounds familiar, but it's perhaps used by others? Like you, the modern stuff doesn't really impress me, but throwbacks to stuff like Galaxy Express, Cobra, and Lupin (havne't seen it yet, though---nor Macross F). So from San Diego to Switzerland, that's a huge leap! Did you ever attend the San Diego Comic Con before it became a huge and annoying Hollywood trade show?
Daishikaze wrote:my dad would buy anything if I told him there were tits in it
This made me laugh. My dad was a bit of a perv, but not like this!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze »

greg wrote:Hi, welcome! Your username sounds familiar, but it's perhaps used by others? Like you, the modern stuff doesn't really impress me, but throwbacks to stuff like Galaxy Express, Cobra, and Lupin (havne't seen it yet, though---nor Macross F). So from San Diego to Switzerland, that's a huge leap! Did you ever attend the San Diego Comic Con before it became a huge and annoying Hollywood trade show?
Daishikaze wrote:my dad would buy anything if I told him there were tits in it
This made me laugh. My dad was a bit of a perv, but not like this!

We've met before on The Animenation forums, I don't go there anymore though. Actually, I went from New Jersey to San Diego and back to NJ before Switzerland. I did go to SDCC in 1996, it was fun, alot better than it is now I hear.

And yeah, my dad is a big perv, or at least he was back then. He's much more serious minded since my mom died several months ago.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Aaaaah, OK! Well, it's nice seeing you again. I posted an invitation to this forum on the "So Old School We Still Say Japanimation" subgroup on there, but I've no idea how many people actually saw it, since that section gets zero traffic these days. I've relegated myself to basically just the Japanese culture forum on there, because I am getting so sick of these impudent teens and twenties kids who just troll others for the sake of it, and post messages with zero content just for the heck of it. They may not know anything about a certain topic, but they're sure to have an opinion on it and will say at least something. Plus, all the bellyaching about how anime companies aren't dubbing everything anymore, etc.

You just reminded me that I've been meaning to send an invitation to this forum to Quixotic1, but he's disappeared off of that forum. I think Area88, Gibb, and Hisoka would fit in here just fine, too.

I just sent an e-mail to Area88, inviting him to the forum. His website is http://www.animeclassicreviews.com/
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Welcome, Orion! I'm glad that you joined us! Please make yourself right at home.

Daniel
Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze »

greg wrote:Aaaaah, OK! Well, it's nice seeing you again. I posted an invitation to this forum on the "So Old School We Still Say Japanimation" subgroup on there, but I've no idea how many people actually saw it, since that section gets zero traffic these days. I've relegated myself to basically just the Japanese culture forum on there, because I am getting so sick of these impudent teens and twenties kids who just troll others for the sake of it, and post messages with zero content just for the heck of it. They may not know anything about a certain topic, but they're sure to have an opinion on it and will say at least something. Plus, all the bellyaching about how anime companies aren't dubbing everything anymore, etc.

You just reminded me that I've been meaning to send an invitation to this forum to Quixotic1, but he's disappeared off of that forum. I think Area88, Gibb, and Hisoka would fit in here just fine, too.

I just sent an e-mail to Area88, inviting him to the forum. His website is http://www.animeclassicreviews.com/
Yeah thats why I left, too many Jack-asses making snide comments about things they know nothing about. As for some of the awesome members joining up here, I hope the Email trouble I had doesn't plague them as well.

And thanks for the Welcome, AnimeSennin. I'm very glad to be here.
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Daishikaze wrote:As for some of the awesome members joining up here, I hope the Email trouble I had doesn't plague them as well.
On the subject of email troubles, could you please copy and paste whatever error message(s) you were getting and private message them to me? I'd like to look into this.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Hey you Daishikaze! Glad you made it. Tell me, did any of the Italian or French dubs of shows like Captain Harlock (Albator) Grandizer (Goldorak) or Candy Candy (Candy Candy) make it into Switzerland? I have an embarrassing feeling my first trip to Europe is going to involve digging around for 70s era childrens toys.
Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze »

davemerrill wrote:Hey you Daishikaze! Glad you made it. Tell me, did any of the Italian or French dubs of shows like Captain Harlock (Albator) Grandizer (Goldorak) or Candy Candy (Candy Candy) make it into Switzerland? I have an embarrassing feeling my first trip to Europe is going to involve digging around for 70s era childrens toys.
Yes they did. You can buy DVDs for Harlock, and I believe Candy Candy (I haven't been to my friend's shop recently to see if its there I remember seeing it last time I think). Grendizer seems to be getting blocked by Go Nagai or TOEI I don't know which. There were some Italian DVDs in circulation but They got stepped on hard by one of those two parties so now they are rare. But Toys, Statues, all sorts of things from these shows can be found if you know where to look.
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

Welcome to lounge.