The Time Capsule

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

The Time Capsule

Post by Daniel »

There is little doubt that anime and manga fandom of the roughly mid-90's and prior has been succeeded by and replaced with (perhaps even, according to some, taken over by) fandom of the later 90's and beyond.

To elaborate, along with the anime explosion that came around the turn of the millenium also came a very different fandom. Most anime fans today, even in North America, don't know what it was like to attend old-style conventions and clubs, have online discussions on rec.arts.anime, read through old issues of magazines such as Animag or Animerica, or watch anime on Nth-generation fansub tapes (to take a few examples), and have likely never even heard the details of such things beyond perhaps a few superficial comments scattered about here and there. As time goes on, this disconnection with fandom's roots is becoming greater and greater, and unless an organized effort is undertaken to rectify this, the history of, indeed the very memory of, fandom of the old era will be completely lost.

In a nutshell, the Time Capsule is a central place for those of us who were fans in the old days to come together and preserve, both to the joy of older fans and to the study of younger fans, that now fading history and memory of anime and manga fandom of the past.

This has the potential to be something great. I sincerely hope that people will find it in themselves to take a few minutes and make what submissions they can. Put together, a few submissions from many people will become something truly incredible...

Time Capsule Main Page
How To Submit Content
Possible Content Ideas

-Daniel
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: The Time Capsule

Post by greg »

I was thinking of a few more things I can provide for the time capsule pages. I have an old Animage magazine from the '80s... or did I send that to you? I cannot remember if I took it with me to Japan or not. I can scan some covers of some popular anime soundtracks, such as the BGC vocal collections, KOR Singing Heart/Loving Heart, etc.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Found Protoculture Addicts issue #1 last night. Do you need scans of that?
_D_

Post by _D_ »

APAs:

Anime Janai came first, followed by Revision X...

davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

When did the Anime Janai APA start? I remember the name but never saw an issue myself.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Here are some soundtracks precious to me from the early '90s.

Project A-ko, U.S. Manga Corps (domestic)

Robot Carnival, JVC (domestic)

Bubblegum Crisis Complete Vocal Collection 1, Futureland

Bubblegum Crisis Complete Vocal Collection 2, Futureland

Kimagure Orange Road: Loving Heart, Futureland

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Animage

Kiki's Delivery Service, Animage

Porco Rosso, Animage

Wings of Honneamise, Midi Inc.
Last edited by greg on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_

Post by _D_ »

davemerrill wrote:When did the Anime Janai APA start? I remember the name but never saw an issue myself.
January 1st, 1987
_D_

Post by _D_ »

usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Has anyone ever seen this page? The Anime Achive Project http://www.practicemakesawesome.com/cat ... e-project/

Basically he's taking old Animerica magazines (and I think some old Mixxzines, if you remember those) and scanning key pages of interest. He's got quite a lot of them up, and it's fun to remember some of these old ads, especially. (The Bad Photoshopping, omg. XD) People published a lot of the pricing for VHS tapes/LDs/DVDs, too. Amazing how much money we used to spend on this stuff, huh? His commentary on some of the pages is amusing, too.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

usamimi wrote:Has anyone ever seen this page? The Anime Achive Project http://www.practicemakesawesome.com/cat ... e-project/

Basically he's taking old Animerica magazines (and I think some old Mixxzines, if you remember those) and scanning key pages of interest. He's got quite a lot of them up, and it's fun to remember some of these old ads, especially. (The Bad Photoshopping, omg. XD) People published a lot of the pricing for VHS tapes/LDs/DVDs, too. Amazing how much money we used to spend on this stuff, huh? His commentary on some of the pages is amusing, too.
Oh wow, thanks for sharing the link! That's a great reference to look at for seeking out the missing Animericas for my collection too. That reminds me I have a ton of Animerica Extra to get rid of. I never really got into collecting it, and I feel like I could just get the graphic novels now for most of the stories featured in it anyways.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram