Hey, I'm Net-Lex

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Net-Lex
Anime Fan Since: 1984 (if Voltron counts)

Hey, I'm Net-Lex

Post by Net-Lex »

I've technically been an anime fan for as long as I can remember. I was about 5 years old when Voltron first hit the States, and needless to say was hooked. Granted, I was too young to even know this was a Japanese cartoon, but still, the connection was primal and stuck with me ever since. As the years went by, I was gradually able to discern certain styles in my cartoons. One of the earliest memories I have of identifying a show as Japanese was the very short-lived Dragon Warrior anime from around 1990 (this was thanks to a description I had read in the now defunct EGM magazine). A few years after that, one of the first things I ever bought was an anime VHS - Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle (it still holds a nostalgic place in my heart to this day). It's been a fun ride ever since.
So, that's a rough back-story on what got me into anime. This insanely unique art-form has had a huge impact on my life. I am currently living in Japan, and have been steadily improving in the language.
Lastly, let me make clear that I in no way consider myself an expert on anime (just a fan), and look forward to sharing my passion for this medium with you all. よろしく
Last edited by Net-Lex on Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daishikaze
Anime Fan Since: 1983

Re: Hey, I'm Net-Lex

Post by Daishikaze »

Willkommen!!! Huzzah, I'm not the youngest anymore :)
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Hi Alex! Nice to see you join the forum here.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Net-Lex

Post by Net-Lex »

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Hey Alex! Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Daniel
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

Welcome to Otaku-ville. 8-)
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Ahh, the Dragon Warrior anime! I tried so hard to watch that show when it was aired (I was probably about 12 years old), but the station that played it didn't have very good reception. One of the few times I was able to tune in, there was no sound! I was so pissed. I'm pretty sure I downloaded all of the english dubbed version somewhere.
Net-Lex

Post by Net-Lex »

danth wrote:Ahh, the Dragon Warrior anime! I tried so hard to watch that show when it was aired (I was probably about 12 years old), but the station that played it didn't have very good reception. One of the few times I was able to tune in, there was no sound! I was so pissed. I'm pretty sure I downloaded all of the english dubbed version somewhere.
Around '99ish, I bought the 13 episodes from someone on Ebay, who had taped them off of TV. Now, my local GEO carries the whole series on DVD. The circle is now complete.
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Net-Lex wrote:Around '99ish, I bought the 13 episodes from someone on Ebay, who had taped them off of TV. Now, my local GEO carries the whole series on DVD. The circle is now complete.
Hah, no way, I tried to buy those on eBay as well. I actually won an auction and paid for it, but the seller never sent anything! That was like the one time an eBay seller burned me.

What's a GEO? I would love to get my hands on the Dragon Warrior DVDs. Are they bootlegs, original Japanese, or something else?
Net-Lex

Post by Net-Lex »

danth wrote:
Net-Lex wrote:Around '99ish, I bought the 13 episodes from someone on Ebay, who had taped them off of TV. Now, my local GEO carries the whole series on DVD. The circle is now complete.
Hah, no way, I tried to buy those on eBay as well. I actually won an auction and paid for it, but the seller never sent anything! That was like the one time an eBay seller burned me.

What's a GEO? I would love to get my hands on the Dragon Warrior DVDs. Are they bootlegs, original Japanese, or something else?
GEO is a DVD rental chain here in Japan.
I just did a quick search on Amazon for the box set. Some are fetching for over $1,400. :shock: