The Best of the Best

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
r-18
Anime Fan Since: 1967

Re: The Best of the Best

Post by r-18 »

5 points to the person who can name my avvy....
Daishikaze
Anime Fan Since: 1983

Post by Daishikaze »

r-18 wrote:5 points to the person who can name my avvy....
I wanna say System Shock.....2?
r-18
Anime Fan Since: 1967

Post by r-18 »

it is indeed from system shock 2 ...it is the end boss...so what is her name???
Ender424
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by Ender424 »

My top 3 video games of all time:

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - SNES
The first game I can truly say I found myself completely immersed in and sets the tone for what I generally look for in a great fantasy adventure.

Metal Gear Solid - PS1
Completely changed how I see video games. I had always looked forward to seeing how far games can go visually and graphically but MGS made me daydream about different ways to play and experience games.

Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1&2 - GC
First game I played online. To me the game's theme was like the ultimate expression of my own personal experiences with online gaming. The game was about you and your space traveling friends exploring uncharted territories and unlocking the planet's mysteries. I lost THOUSANDS of hours to this game.
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Daishikaze wrote:I think both character types can be done in ways that are pretty good, but for whatever reason the creators choose to go too far one way or the other most of the time. I guess because its much easier to just let everything go to one side of the spectrum instead working hard to balance the character out?

Personally, my favorite JRPGs are The Phantasy Star series (1 through 4), Grandia 1, Chrono Trigger, the Lunar series, the Ys series, and Tales of Phantasia.
Glad you mentioned Lunar. Those games are my favorites of all time.

I also really like the Lufia games; you don't really hear much about those. I also loved Secret of Mana.
Armblessed
Anime Fan Since: Fill me in!

Post by Armblessed »

First off, want to add my voice to those advocating Final Fantasy 6. My favorite RPG of all time.
I acknowledge that I'm in a minority when I say this, but I'm not a fan of Chrono Trigger. I've tried playing through twice and I watched a friend play through it as well. Just never found it that interesting. Technically great, yeah, but it never grabbed me.
r-18 wrote:it is indeed from system shock 2 ...it is the end boss...so what is her name???
Great game. My friend and I played through it together co-op on a LAN and it was a blast. We've been talking about doing it again sometime. Kick SHODAN's ass once more. From time to time, I still find myself saying "Babies must sleep. Babies must rest."
Ender424 wrote:My top 3 video games of all time:

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - SNES
The first game I can truly say I found myself completely immersed in and sets the tone for what I generally look for in a great fantasy adventure.

Metal Gear Solid - PS1
Completely changed how I see video games. I had always looked forward to seeing how far games can go visually and graphically but MGS made me daydream about different ways to play and experience games.
I wanted to second both of these. I've played a lot of Zelda games and Link to the Past is still the best.
And I love Metal Gear Solid. The whole series is good. Even MGS2 is pretty solid(har!), making allowances for the change in tone and main character bait and switch.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

FF6 is amazing and I still love it. <3 I can see how Chrono Trigger might not be for everyone. While I love it, I also played it back when it was still a "new" thing. A lot of other games have since come out that probably do that whole style better, but since it was the first game like that I ever played, I loved it and couldn't get enough of it. It's a game I've bought multiple times. (I lost my American SNES copy, but I have the Japanese Super Famicom cartridge--that I found at a PAWN SHOP in America, I might add!, the PSX release, and Nitro has the DS version.)

While I like FF7 alright, I too am still baffled as to why it consistently seems to be gaining and re-gaining fans over the years. :? It does have a lot of good things about it, but it also has a lot of faults. 6 will probably always be my favorite.

I'm one of those weirdos that actually doesn't really care for Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask in the Zelda series. :| I just didn't see what was so amazing about either! I much preferred Four Swords, the Oracle games for the GB, or even the later games such as Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. Not to say they were terrible...I just don't see them as THE BEST ZELDAS OF ALL TIME!!! like some of my friends seem to. (I actually also love the very first Zelda game, but probably due to the fact that it was one of the first NES games my mother and I played together, working hard to figure out how to beat it...y'know, before you could just look up crap online and stuff. XD)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

I wish there was an easy way to answer this....I love so many video games for different reasons.

First and foremost, I'm an RPG fan and "Final Fantasy III", "Final Fantasy VI", "Final Fantasy VIII", "Final Fantasy X" are favorites... "Suikoden I" and the first "Tales" game are favorites..

But I would have to break it down by genre...there are too many games I enjoy. I love "Shenmue" and the "Ryu ga Gotoku" (Yakuza) games

I know a lot of people love Zelda...I own almost all the games but I never completed any of them.

I have problems with being backlogged and owning multiple consoles that I end up being pulled away from the games. :(
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

kndy wrote: I have problems with being backlogged and owning multiple consoles that I end up being pulled away from the games. :(
Don't feel too bad! I have the same problem! :lol: I have plenty of games that I've owned for ages and never fully finished (most recently Bayonetta...LOVE that game but I keep forgetting to finish it, I think I'm in the final area and everything XD)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I actually played Secret of Mana before playing Link to the Past. I never owned a NES back in the day. I had an Atari 7800 while my friends all had Nintendos. The 7800 was great for classic arcade games, but it wasn't made for adventure/RPGs. In high school, I played mostly computer games (especially Starflight, which was phenomenal that they could fit an entire galaxy onto one 3.5mb floppy disk). I bought a Super Nintendo when I graduated high school in '94. So until then, I had missed out on console-based RPGs. I watched my friend play some Final Fantasy 6 back then, but the abstract battle representation didn't really click with me back then. So I played Secret of Mana, Shadowrun, and then worked up to Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Trigger was amazing because the positioning of your characters and the enemies plays a part of the gameplay strategy. I liked the game, but once the team leapt into the desolate future in which people were huddled together in domes, starving to death, and the ominous musical score was like a rhythmic clanging, the game really absorbed me.

Some guys on the Racketboy forum said that they did not care for Chrono Trigger, but the time travel aspect really appealed to them. They strongly recommended the game Radiant Historia on the DS. Many people say that it is one of the best JRPGs ever made. The value has skyrocketed as a result, but I lucked out and found a complete copy on eBay for a decent price. They say the chracters are not a bunch of kids or angsty teenagers, but soldiers who are trying to use time travel to prevent a current catastrophic war between two nations. They also say that it is not a cliche'd story of good vs evil, and that neither side of the war is inheritly evil and out to destroy the world or anything. I think I really need to make this the next RPG I start playing.

I also lost track of playing the Final Fantasy 1 remake for the PS1. That game is so hard, and it takes even longer to play because your characters keep missing the enemies. The enemy encounter rate can be unbelievable, and in some dungeons each step you take will trigger a battle.

The first FF game I ever played was 7, and though I loved it at the time, I did not realize how mediocre it was. The whole materia concept is cool, until you realize that since it allows everyone to use magic, there is no use of having one character as a cleric, a mage, a warrior, a fighter, etc. Final Fantasy 8 was a total letdown. I grew to hate the game, but I decided to force myself to play through to the end. I got sick of the characters, and I got sick of the magic system. Drawing spells was tedious, and characters could not even use items unless they were junctioned to a guardian force. The ending was cool, but the only way I was able to finish the game was that, by random, all 3 of my powerful characters were selected from the start, so I was able to defeat the witch at the end (or whatever she was). After that, I decided to play FF5. While the characters were not very memorable, I really enjoyed that game far more. Next was FF4, which was excellent and had very memorable characters, then finally FF6, which had the best characters, best battle system, and best magic system. Then a couple of years ago I started playing FF1, but I lost track of it. I've since bought it on the PSP, so I wonder if I will just start over again with that game. But with all the tons of grinding through enemies just to get anywhere in the game, I'd rather not.

Since I did not have a Genesis until the late 90's, I've never played any of the Phantasy Star games.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page