llj's intro

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

llj's intro

Post by llj »

Hi, my name is Graham and while I'm not as hardcore as most anime fans (I'm not a big convention-goer or cosplay guy, for instance), I've probably stuck around the hobby longer than the majority of them, who tend to burn out after 6-8 years of fandom. I've been an "official" fan for a little over 20 years, but an "unofficial" fan for even longer.

As far back as I remember, I was always attracted to the anime visual aesthetic. This may be because I grew up with Voltron and Astro Boy and later Robotech airing on a regular basis, not to mention the Sunbow cartoons, which often betrayed its outsourcing origins.

As most of you know, there wasn't a big push to actually get anime released in North America in their (generally) unedited forms until the late 80s and early 90s. During this time, I always kept my eye out for any anime that might make it to North American television, even before I knew the word "anime". Every so often video stores would drop a Lensman or Akira, which always got me excited, but it would be slim pickings and I really didn't how much more of these animations there were available.

I don't remember at what point I started actually specifically seeking out this "anime", and I probably used the word "Japanese animation" for many years until I got used to the word "anime". Before I started actually buying the anime released by such companies as Animeigo and Manga Entertainment, I found that the Cantonese VHS rental place that my parents used to frequent often had Cantonese-dubbed anime available (I am Chinese). I got as much as I could--starting of course, with a familiar franchise: Macross. Macross 2, that is. Regardless of how fans in subsequent years view Macross 2, I do have a soft spot for it as being one of the early anime I watched in its (relatively) unedited forms. Subsequent shows would include Future Boy Conan, Doomed Megalopolis, RG Veda, Zeta Gundam, Ranma 1/2, Dragon Ball Z, and a number of other kiddie anime I honestly could not recall the names of. (For example, there was one show about a boy who carried a bokken everywhere and always slashed everything in right angles--90 degrees--and if anyone here could identify that show, it would be much appreciated).

Animerica magazine would also play a huge part in expanding my knowledge of anime. I was not able to catch Animerica #0, alas, but I did happen upon Animerica #1, which was featuring Gundam 0083 and had Kou Uraki and a Gundam on the cover. Naturally I had to buy it. (Incidentally, I did not actually watch Gundam 0083 until many years later).

Eventually I would get enough disposable income to get some of the anime that the aforementioned North American companies were distributing, and the local Blockbusters would start carrying anime. I went through much of the Streamline catalogue, as well as the U.S. Renditions stuff. Golgo 13, Gunbuster, Totoro, Windaria--you name it. I spent most of my high school years exploring this stuff, and trying to turn my friends onto the hobby as well, with a moderate amount of success.

My first year of college brought about many exciting new ways to communicate with other anime fans. The internet was just starting to break out, so I joined up with a bunch of mailing lists and usenet. ADV's release of Evangelion helped stoke the desire for more anime TV shows, as we in North America had mostly been fed a steady diet of anime movies and OVAs up to now.

For the most part, my viewing habits now are the same as they were in my college years, with the exception of a lean year or two due to finances or off-years in terms of what was coming out of Japan that piqued my interest. Still, with many public libraries now carrying anime, I can always watch some no matter how poor I am, so we're definitely much changed from the early days of anime in North America.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: llj's intro

Post by greg »

llj wrote:I don't remember at what point I started actually specifically seeking out this "anime", and I probably used the word "Japanese animation" for many years until I got used to the word "anime".
Do you remember ever using the word "Japanimation"? That was the prevalent term in the 80s and early 90s, it seems.

I too have a soft spot for Macross II. What is unique about it is that it is a sequel to the movie, rather than the original TV series.

Welcome to the forum!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Hey Graham, welcome to the board! Glad to have you. Please be my guest and kick back with us anytime.

Daniel
llj

Post by llj »

greg wrote:
llj wrote:I don't remember at what point I started actually specifically seeking out this "anime", and I probably used the word "Japanese animation" for many years until I got used to the word "anime".
Do you remember ever using the word "Japanimation"? That was the prevalent term in the 80s and early 90s, it seems.

I too have a soft spot for Macross II. What is unique about it is that it is a sequel to the movie, rather than the original TV series.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks. I probably did use the word "Japanimation" on occasion, but I seem to recall being uncomfortable with it for some reason even as a kid, so I don't think I used it often.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Well, it didn't bother me at first, because it seemed like a clever amalgamation of two words, Japan and animation. However, apparently there were enough people who mispronounced it as JAP-animation, which made it sound racist. I never heard anyone say this in person, but through the Net I heard people complaining of this. Then by the mid-90s, everyone seemed to have adopted the word "anime."
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Hey Graham! Your anime experience sounds a lot like mine. Welcome!

I too had to read about all the cool anime in magazines years before I could view them. I still collect old Animericas & Animags when I can find them.

I really like the term "Japanese Animation." Anime always sounded weird to me. I definitely called it Japanimation as a kid though.
llj

Post by llj »

Yep, there are a lot of stuff I missed during Animerica's heyday. I'm only now catching up on the original Slayers TV series right now, and it was all the rage back in the 90s. Most of my money was drained by Evangelion back then.
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

Welcome.
Ender424
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by Ender424 »

Funny that Streamline, Blockbuster, and Animerica were big parts of both our anime upcomings! Out of curiosity where are you from?
I hate myself for disposing of my old Animerica issues! :evil:
llj

Post by llj »

I'm from Ontario, Canada.

I still have most of my Animerica issues, but the older ones are not in great shape. Animerica #1 in particular is barely holding together.

There are some places around here that sell back issues of Animerica, I think, so someday I may seek out some of the issues I wanted.

I also have a pile of anime VHS' that I don't know what to do with...