moving to Japan

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

moving to Japan

Post by greg »

I was just offered a job to teach English in Japan! However, they are looking for somebody to start in mid-January, so my wife and I will need to scramble to make this happen. But oh wow, this is a dream come true. I've been seriously considering relocating back to Japan for at least the past five years now.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: moving to Japan

Post by Daniel »

Congrats!

What kind of position will you be filling?

And where in Japan will you be going to this time?
greg

Post by greg »

It's a teaching job. I'll be in the midst of the beautiful mountains of Nagano Prefecture, where my wife is from. Here's some pics of the area.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel »

Wow, that looks like a great place to live! Besides the nature (which I love), is there anything else interesting in Nagano Prefecture?

What age level will be you be teaching to?
greg

Post by greg »

AnimeSennin wrote:Wow, that looks like a great place to live! Besides the nature (which I love), is there anything else interesting in Nagano Prefecture?
Matsumoto Castle has survived over the centuries from earthquakes and firebombings. Plus, there is this place,, this place, and this place for when I want to buy neat nerd crap!
AnimeSennin wrote:What age level will be you be teaching to?
Elementary school kids. When I was a teacher 10 years ago, English teaching to elementary kids was not compulsory. I really enjoyed visiting the kids at elementary schools as special visits, but this time I'll be with them every day. That's nice, because they were always fun and ready to learn (their hormones don't kick in until junior high).
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel »

greg wrote:Matsumoto Castle has survived over the centuries from earthquakes and firebombings.
Wow, I looked up some images of it. Beautiful!

Are you allowed to go inside?

greg wrote:Plus, there is this place,, this place, and this place for when I want to buy neat nerd crap!
Holy cow :shock:

Do you ever get any stares while going around stores video taping stuff? :P

greg wrote:Elementary school kids. When I was a teacher 10 years ago, English teaching to elementary kids was not compulsory. I really enjoyed visiting the kids at elementary schools as special visits, but this time I'll be with them every day. That's nice, because they were always fun and ready to learn (their hormones don't kick in until junior high).
That's great. :)

I've done a bit of teaching to children at a church group. They were always fun to be with, and were indeed usually ready to learn (although after a few minutes they were then ready to go play :lol: ). I also saw one of your writings where you talk about students assaulting teachers in Japan, which sounded pretty frightening. With elementary school kids I wouldn't think that that's a worry, though, so that's good at least.
greg

Post by greg »

This job offer has taken us by surprise. I figured that if I were to get a job, it wouldn't start until April (the beginning of the school year), so I figured we had some time. But now we're scrambling like mad to pack and prepare. Haven't even told my parents yet, but we'll do that today. I do not anticipate a positive reaction (long story). Moving arrangements have been made, and plane tickets have been bought. It's crazy to think that in two weeks from today, I'll be in Japan. Visiting is always exciting, but this time we're actually moving back. Now I only have a very short time to say goodbye to my friends in Phoenix.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel »

greg wrote:This job offer has taken us by surprise. I figured that if I were to get a job, it wouldn't start until April (the beginning of the school year), so I figured we had some time. But now we're scrambling like mad to pack and prepare. Haven't even told my parents yet, but we'll do that today. I do not anticipate a positive reaction (long story). Moving arrangements have been made, and plane tickets have been bought. It's crazy to think that in two weeks from today, I'll be in Japan. Visiting is always exciting, but this time we're actually moving back. Now I only have a very short time to say goodbye to my friends in Phoenix.
新しいお仕事おめでとうございます。 :)

You gotta let us know how it goes...!
greg

Post by greg »

Thanks. The worst part is behind me. I was dreading to tell my parents that we are leaving. They live in the Phoenix area as well, and they've grown accustomed to us living so close to them. Yesterday, I finally told them the news in-person. My parents didn't take the news of us leaving very well, and Mom is rather heartbroken. She has some major health problems, and she doesn't want to lose her granddaughter. However, she hasn't really shown much sensitivity to my in-laws' hopes to spend time with their granddaughter. I don't like the concept of "getting even," but at least now she'll understand how the other set of parents in Japan have felt for the past nine years.

Now that the hard part is behind us, we're getting excited about moving. We're just packing like crazy.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

Actually, we're leaving heavy kitchen stuff like pots, plates and cups behind. I'm taking my DVDs, video games, and plastic models with me, plus the majority of my anime figures. Oh yeah, and clothing so I don't freeze to death or get arrested.
AnimeSennin wrote:Do you ever get any stares while going around stores video taping stuff? :P
Not really, although I have to be cautious with the store clerks. In Tokyo, especially, the clerks often tell me to put the camera away. I think they're sensitive about the prices and such.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page