Gift Ideas for Japanese pen-pal

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
Armblessed
Anime Fan Since: Fill me in!

Gift Ideas for Japanese pen-pal

Post by Armblessed »

Hello all!
I was hoping that some of you with some experience in Japan could help me out. I am wanting to get some gifts for my Japanese pen-pal for Christmas/New Years. I was thinking candy or other inexpensive, small things that are typical for Americans but unknown/unavailable in Japan. Trouble being, I have no idea what is available in Japan and what isn't. Last Easter, I mentioned Peeps to him and he was amused by them, so I thought I might get some of the Christmas Peeps and send them. Other than that, I am rather at a loss. Any input would be appreciated!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Gift Ideas for Japanese pen-pal

Post by greg »

Wow, that reminds me of those gruesome science experiments on Peeps I saw on the Net in the mid-'90s to prove how those aren't even real food. If your pen pal likes M&Ms, they only have the standard plain version here in most stores. Only specialty stores like Kaldee Coffee has maybe a few different seasonal versions. Guys in Japan usually think they're too cool for anything sweet, but if he's not like that, chocolate covered cherries is something I miss right now. I don't think Japan has any restrictions on stuff like beef jerky. I took a bunch with me when I moved here last year, but I just didn't bother claiming it on my customs form. I have some buffalo, ostrich, and alligator jerky I took with me. Turkey jerky may be great, too.

Aside from snacks, what is he into? There's a small following of Miranda Cosgrove fans who watch iCarly dubbed in Japanese, for example. Any more details? Sorry for taking a while to respond to your question.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

If there's any sort of food item or delicacy that your region is known for, it might make a good gift. As long as it travels well and can withstand the rigors of the postal service.

You could send them a Christmas fruitcake. Those are indestructible.
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

I seem to recall that giving a gift that is a set of four things is not good, as four -> 四 -> し -> 死, so you might want to be careful of that.
Armblessed

Post by Armblessed »

Thanks for the help, all. Sorry I haven't replied. Been busy dealing with Holiday... business.
greg wrote:Guys in Japan usually think they're too cool for anything sweet, but if he's not like that, chocolate covered cherries is something I miss right now.
That's interesting to know. A shame too. I love me some candy. My pen-pal has a couple kids so I'll throw some peeps and maybe chocolate covered cherries in there and tell him to enjoy it with his family.

So beef jerky isn't really a thing in Japan?

As for fruit cake, that's an interesting idea. The dreaded fruitcake.
greg

Post by greg »

Armblessed wrote:So beef jerky isn't really a thing in Japan?
No, beef jerky is well-liked in Japan, I think. So he has kids, huh? Spongebob Squarepants is popular here in Japan, and apparently Phineas and Ferb are now popular in Japan. How old are the kids? If he has a girl, Uglydolls are very barely known in Japan, but all of the girls I show mine to really love them.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Armblessed

Post by Armblessed »

Okay, so I've got another question. When mailing to Japan, will romaji work? Or are the Japanese characters needed?
greg

Post by greg »

Mail carriers in Japan can all read romaji. I believe it is a requirement for their job. My apartment name has the words "city heights" (シティハイツ) in it, and my wife said that anything other than putting down "shiti haitsu" in romaji would not be understood by the mail carriers. But the address I gave my family and friends said "city heights," and I've had no trouble receiving mail from them. So, they seem fairly adept at handling stuff written in English, too.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page