Game soundtracks

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Game soundtracks

Post by greg »

Yeah, having a young kid and working two jobs severely limited the things I was able to do back in America.

Speaking of which, there is a nice Internet radio station called noliferadio.com that plays all sorts of game music. Occasionally there's annoying stuff like GTA or Parappa the Rapper (Parappa might be fun to play, but it's not the sort of thing I would want to listen to normally), but it is a rather nice station to listen to.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

ryoran wrote:I love any and all renditions, classic, remix, etc of Chrono Trigger's music, and I would say that it's probably one of the best soundtracks of all time (pun intended). Yasunori Mitsuda is an amazing composer.
Agreed.

Other than all of the Chrono Trigger music, some of my favorites are:

(JRPGS)
Final Fantasy 6: Cyan's Theme/Doma Castle
Final Fantasy 7: Cid's Theme
Super Mario RPG: Beware of the Forest Mushrooms
Secret of Mana: Into the Thick of It

(Non-RPGs)
Double Dragon: All of it
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I agree with Chrono Trigger (and Chrono Cross!) being a huge fave. Final Fantasy 6 is also a favorite of mine, esp. "Aria di Mezzo Carattere". <3

I also loved the Lunar soundtracks, I used to have all of them thanks to Napster/Audio Galaxy back in the day. XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

My most recent purchase is the Seiken Densetsu 2 soundtrack, aka The Secret of Mana. This also is the original sound version, featuring chip generated music from the Nintendo SNES hardware. I haven't played this game in many years, and this soundtrack is so nostalgic! I always thought that the boss battle theme music was rather grating, but the rest of the music is superb. In college, I would play Secret of Mana every year around Christmastime. Maybe because the game involves saving Santa Claus or something. I never got to play the game with 3 players, but a few times my friend played with me.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

I love Into the Thick of It from that soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFKoFzNfQdA
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

My favorite soundtrack is Chrono Cross, followed very closely by Chrono Trigger. I just love anything Yasunori Mitsuda works on. Other game soundtracks I love: anything from Key, Ys and Falcom in general, FFVI, Mother/Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG, Solatorobo, and Lunar.

Roughly half my Ipod is vgm, thanks to the fact a lot of them these days come with soundtracks in limited edition boxes. Very happy about that.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

Most of the game soundtracks I listen to are from Final Fantasy...but I have to say the cool thing lately with NIS America, Xseed and Atlus that they are releasing games with the CD soundtrack and many game companies are starting to follow the limited edition releases or just include the soundtrack regardless if they are regular or limited edition.

But I'm glad that the soundtracks are becoming more available here in the US.

I used to keep up with the LE release but too expensive for me to continue....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kndynt2099 ... 756505704/
greg

Post by greg »

danth wrote:I love Into the Thick of It from that soundtrack.

That's my favorite one, too!
kndy wrote:I used to keep up with the LE release but too expensive for me to continue....

:shock: Wow, that Radiant Historia LE must be worth quite a lot! I was lucky enough to score the regular version of this game for under $50 off eBay a while back. I still have yet to play it, but it's supposed to be a phenomenal RPG about time-travel with fantastic characters.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:
danth wrote:I love Into the Thick of It from that soundtrack.

That's my favorite one, too!
kndy wrote:I used to keep up with the LE release but too expensive for me to continue....

:shock: Wow, that Radiant Historia LE must be worth quite a lot! I was lucky enough to score the regular version of this game for under $50 off eBay a while back. I still have yet to play it, but it's supposed to be a phenomenal RPG about time-travel with fantastic characters.
I thought all Radiant Historia came with the soundtrack? I haven't even played it yet...I bought it during my "I must purchase all Japanese RPG games" days...lol...I still buy them but not as much as priority, especially seeing how much prices are going for now for them.
greg

Post by greg »

I think I bought my Radiant Historia used, but it came complete with the case and manual. It was released by Atlus, and that company really loves the fans and releases many games as LEs with soundtracks and such. Of their LEs with soundtracks, I own Luminous Arc 2, Ys Books I & II, and Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Fronteir. I never got around to listening to those soundtracks, so when Knights in the Knightmare was released, I just got the regular version.

Radiant Historia is praised for abandoning all the cliched JRPG tropes. There are no angsty teenagers, no little kid with a sword going out on an adventure and initially only fighting grumpy bees and such, and no quest to stop some madman from destroying the entire world. From what I understand, the story is about soldiers trying to go back in time to prevent the current war between two nations, neither of which is inherently evil, per se. I really want to play it, but I've promised myself to not start too many RPGs at once, lest I never finish any of them.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page